1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ouch! gouge in neck, how to fix

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bribass, Dec 15, 2006.

1. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    A sound man knocked over a heavy metal music stand onto my Prescott today:spit:. It sustained a gouge/scratch in the neck wood about 1/2 inch long, an 1/8 inch deep and about 3/16 inch wide:bawl:. I count myself lucky it didn't do anything worse like cut in the top or something.

What is a good repair to fill this gouge so i don't feel it under my thumb or hand?

Thanks, BG

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Bummer!

If the wood was merely compressed it might be possible to steam it out, the sooner the better, before it forgets how it used to be.

If there was wood removed, you'll need a splice/patch to replace the wood.

Both methods are within the scope of the fairly advanced woodworker and it should pretty much disappear in the hands of an experienced repair person.

3. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    I just did it myself and now it's barely noticeable. I took it out of the case and it was a smaller gouge then I remembered/ described (it loomed larger in my mind). No missing wood. I judiciuosly and very carefully gave it a couple of seconds w/ a steam iron over soft cloth and voila!, about 80% of it's depth came right out. Don't worry. This unskilled woodworker is putting the iron down and stepping away from the bass slowly. I rubbed a little instrument polish/cleaner on the spot and i feel much better now. Thanks, Jake!