1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Outside gig amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rolfskylark, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Rolfskylark

Rolfskylark

Nov 27, 2013
    Our band was hired by Solano stroll which a large street fair in Baerkley. Out of 170 bands that applied we were one of 30 bands that were accepted.
    Before this point we have only done inside shows with PA support so my 100 watt 15" amp has worked perfectly so far.
    However I am worried that I will not be loud enough in an outside venue.
    I have been wanted to get a 410 for a while now however I was wondering if you believe I need to get a larger amp.
    The fair officials asked not to be too loud, however I don't want to be drowned out by the crowds which can become very loud.

I am particularly interested in the carvin BR410.

Thanks in advance

2. It sounds like the sort of gig that has full PA supplied, if not backline amps too.

Your amp would be borderline ok with PA support, just less thunder for you. Otherwise you need double the power and speaker outdoors to maintain indoors performance.

3. On these occasions you can ask for a little bass on your stage monitor.

4. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    First order of business: Find out if there will be PA support

BurningSkies and DannyBob like this.
  5. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    Yep, don't want to blow $2,000 on a new amp and then realise that it is not needed

MTFD24 likes this.
  6. As mentioned you should verify if a back line is supplied and if PA support is available. As you describe the event would have both I would expect especially if there is more than one act on the bill. If they are supplied then you don't have to worry about your small amp.

7. Rolfskylark

Rolfskylark

Nov 27, 2013
    We will have pa support however it is mostly for vocals, however I will definatly have pa support.
    What is backline if you don't mind me asking.
    I don't have a bunch of money to spend maybe $700.
    But I don't think that is an issue the cab I am looking at is $170 used and has great tone. I don't want to get it if I don't need it quite yet though.
    Thanks.

8. Backline is the stage amps, sometimes including drums and keyboards.

Better find out for sure if there is PA for bass and drums. PA is either vocal or full band, huge difference in gear required.

A 4x10 is a poor choice for standalone bass. There's a recent thread about budget drivers. For $700 you could easily build a much better system for outdoors.

9. squidtastic

squidtastic Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Congrats on the gig, Rolf. I've done the Stroll a couple of times, and the organizers were pretty serious about keeping the volume at a moderate level. I used a 1x15, however my amp was a GK 400RB, so I assume I had more volume than you do. I recall them telling us at least once to turn down, and we were a jazz choir (jazz quartet with around 12 singers), so they're not kidding when they say don't get loud. That said, this was quite a few years ago, so might be different now.

In any case, it never hurts to have headroom, so I'd say it's worth getting a larger amp if you can. With only a 100-watt amp, you're bound to find yourself in a gig situation where you're gonna need more than that, even if 100 watts turns out to be enough for the Stroll.

10. Browse CL. I have spied many quality 410 or 212 or whatever with decent amps for well under $700. Just last week I almost bought a 410 GK rated at 1000 watts for $100.

11. Ogbassist

Ogbassist

Feb 16, 2012
    When you say $170 cab.... what are you talking about? Don't pass up a great opportunity to buy a great priced piece of equipment!

12. Our band annually plays a huge block party here in FL and I use my SWR WorkingPro 12 as a stage monitor, tilted back; I usually request they move a wedge toward me for a little more support, but these big sound companies can make almost anything work. I bet your amp would be fine if it is sued as a stage monitor. That being said, it is always great when they supply a big rig as a backline. Last year they gave us two giant Aguilar cabs and I was in amp heaven.

maestrovert likes this.
  13. Find a SansAmp BDDI....Send a DI to FOH/PA and let it carry the load, and allow your amp to work as a monitor for you.

14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    If by chance no PA or backline (doubtful, but may happen), and this is just a 'one off' type deal ... also consider renting what you need ... just another option in your bag of tricks .. ;)

squidtastic and seansv like this.
  15. ajn

ajn

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I've played the Stroll in recent years, and all they provide is the AC power and a space to set up. The PA support you're going to have is whatever your band is bringing. So if your PA system can't provide bass support you may in fact need more amplification. Even though they encourage you not to play too loud, there is a fair amount of ambient noise from the thousands of people passing by (plus the bands playing 100 yards on either side of you) with which you are competing. Congrats on the gig. And even though access and set up is a logistical nightmare, it can be a lot of fun.

16. JensCambre

JensCambre

Feb 3, 2014
    Belgium
    IMO and IME you never need a 4×10". i've been draggin' around a rig like that for years. Outside side shows, big, small and medium venues, and it was always overkill!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Listen, I do outdoor gigs sometimes with a 35w practice amp. I so do not believe in the premise that outdoor gigs automatically require a bigger rig, especially if you have PA. A bigger rig is great for better tone, and maybe if you were in a very loud onstage band with no PA, you could make a case for it, but you've already been told they don't want loud volume, so I think your current rig is fine.

seansv likes this.
  18. Rolfskylark

Rolfskylark

Nov 27, 2013
    Thanks for all the help. Ajn you are correct they don't provide anything except power, however our sound guy has a vrx setup which is extremely loud so I doubt we will have any problem being heard plus the restriction on how loud we can be is in our favor this time.
    Thanks for your help, at this time I think I will wait to get another cab.
    Once again thanks and if you have anymore advice please share.

19. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    If the PA is only for vocals, then I wouldn't be too worried about carrying the show withg a 115, assuming your band mates buy into the "low volume" request. I've done dozens of outdoor gigs with 115 and no PA support - never a complaint.

20. Bands every 100 yards? No wonder it's vocal PA. If you're any good the crowd you gather will shut up and listen as you rock out to acoustic drums.