Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OVation magnum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    What do they sound like? Ive been thinking about getting one to mess around with as a good backup maybe. Are they good for slap and funky styles?

2. im not entirely sure abuot what youre talking about here..but i have seen "magnum" basses which are musicman and precision bass copies..this what ya talking about

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    No

[​IMG]

4. that looks nice...bet it would sound interesting

5. IMO, the Ovation Magnum isn't the right bass for slap or funk. I had one for a while. It's got a big, bassy sound, mostly thanks to that big pickup right by the end of the fretboard. I had it strung with flatwounds. It's a fun bass to play, but not a slapper.

6. I second what Dave has to say.

I used to own an Ovation Magnum back in the late 70s.(Check my profile)

This bass has a very deep tone similar to a Gibson EB-O, but the sound was much cleaner than the Gibson. It also had a pickup near the bridge than had U shaped pole pieces to sense string vibrations longer, or so they used to say in their ads back then. The bridge pup was extremely clean sounding, and had a piano-like tone to it.

Overall, it was a very nice sounding bass, but I'd say it was better suited to finger-style than slap.

My bass' serial number was 00488, so if anyone comes across this instrument, she used to be my girl. :(

Mike

Driven Crane likes this.
  7. I still have an Ovation Magnum III. the one w/ the 3 band Slider-based Eq. Bass weighs a ton. The bass sounds like a mix of a gibson EBO and 70 P bass more or less. Bassy, boomy, w/ some clarity. The bass has alot of cool features for its time, like carbon fiber reinforced neck, and those neat U-shaped pickup poles and that adjustable front pickup. Great for filling up the bottom end of a rock-n-roll band But a slapping machine -not really.

8. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    I echo the posts already made on sound. One thing too is that every one I've ever held weighs a ton.

9. i read somewhere just before that the neck pup is a 4coil :eek: ...personally i think it looks cool..i like the look of the ovation acoustic basses as well

10. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    I have one of these but its at my practice space, its got a really fat tone that you can feel. sometimes it overpowers the guitars if I set it right.

11. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I currently own one, had it since the early 80's and love it! It has a sound not unlike an early J Bass. Absolutely built like a tank! They are getting pretty rare, though. You might check Ebay...every now and agin one pops up....

12. I still have the original owner's manual that came with mine. ;)

Mike

13. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I caught a bass player using one last Friday night in a band in Hong Kong. It didn't sound bad at all. I was expecting it to sound muffled. I hadn't seen one since the 70's.

14. mgod

mgod

Sep 22, 2004
    I bought #00500 a few years ago off ebay, came with manuals and everything, mint for about $500. I think its an astonishing aggresive bass. I guess you could say its heavy, but not compared to my Alembic or my 69 Les Paul Bass. Mine is a II I think, active with the 3 tone sliders.

Built like a tank, and yes, slapping is easy on it, if you care for that sort of thing. I like it with a pick. Nasty.

DS

15. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there another version of this bass, with a more unique body design, and some rails going from neck to bridge that you could use as a thumbrest? And did'nt Ross Valory of Journey play one?

16. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    ahh, I just checked another site and found that the earlier ovations, 1 and 2, had a different body shape...this one we are looking at is a ovation magnum 3 or 4..wierd, because the earlier versions had the rails, and looked actually more modern!

17. And let's not forget the built in mute lever. :bassist:

There was a lever just in front of the bridge that, when engaged raised four mute posts that touched the strings to try to give the sound an upright-like quick decay. It did sound pretty good, but whenever I used it, it raised the intonation about a quarter tone, so I just didn't use it that much.

Another good idea that went nowhere.

Mike

18. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I hear the Magnum makes a pretty good reggae/dub bass. I know ex-PIL side man Jah Wobble uses one. I wouldn't make it my primary axe but I think it'd be good fun as a backup.

r

19. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    You know, I used mine a lot in the 80's then I made the mistake of loaning it to a "friend"...he up and moves away to Paris and I never see it again...Bummer! A couple of years ago what do you think turns up on Ebay? You got it! There she was! I immediately bought it ($450.00) and it's been with me since. From time to time I get out my Rickenbacker, Jazz, Daions and the Ovation. It's amazing that the Magnum can keep up with the best of 'em.....Personally, I think Ovation screwed up when they discontinued them in the early 80's....they don't build 'em like that anymore!

20. Anyone know where to find parts for one? I have the 3 band eq one, and it took a bad hit before i owned it. The pick guard and the circuit board cracked off where the 1/4" jack is. I was able to McGuyver the board and make it function for awhile but now, until I can restore it, I leave it alone. (Play my T40 or Stingray instead)

I would love to get this old beast back up and working. I have a laser etching guy who can reproduce the guard but the circuit board is beyond me,