1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Overdrive in or out of effects loop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jeffbos, Jan 12, 2012.

1. jeffbos

jeffbos

Jun 9, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    All,

I was messing around with my pedal board and was thinking of trying my BOSS ODB-3.1 (H)Overdrive (mod) in the effects loop instead of in the instrument line. I remember seeing a youtube video where someone said that was a bad idea. I'm not sure why this is a bad idea as long as I don't crank up the pedal's gain or level.

Also I have a Rocktron Banshee I was thinking of putting it in the instrument or effects chain. I was curious if you put the banshee after the ODB-3.1 if the overdriven signal would hurt the banshee's internal amp.

Any thoughts on either? Thanks

Current Board

Head: Marshall MB450H

Current instrument chain: Bass>TU-3>ODB-3.1>ISP Decimator>Amp

Current Effects Loop: Send>OC-3>CEB-3>DD-3>Return

Proposed Instrument chain:Bass>TU-3>(Banshee?)>ISP Decimator>Amp

Proposed Effects Chain: Send>ODB-3.1>OC-3>CEB-3>DD-3>(Banshee?)>Return

2. omie

omie Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Arizona
    Easy, try it.

It will sound like crap.

3. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA

Hahahahahaha...too funny...yeah I'd agree.

4. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Why not use your over drive pedal or get a high gain pedal to drive you amp into sweet distortion? Why are you putting pedals in the effects loop?

5. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I can't quite figure what someone might hope to gain (no pun intended) from putting an OD pedal in the effects loop as opposed to the instrument input. To overdrive your signal less by bypassing the preamp stage?

6. jeffbos

jeffbos

Jun 9, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    I really never thought of putting the OD in the effects loop until I saw someone recommend it on youtube, in contrast to the person who said it would hurt the amp. I had never tried it, so I thought I'd ask around, mainly to see if it would hurt the amp.

I put the OC-3, CEB-3, & DD-3 in the loop at the recommendation of a studio musician & amp tech for clearer effectiveness of the pedal. I could tell a difference when I moved those three into the loop. When activated, their respective effect was more crisp, clear, & distinct. But hey, I've been flying reaaally loud airplanes for the past 32 years so what sounds good to me might just very well sound crappy to someone else.

7. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    Tough crowd.

8. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    If you're happy with it then perfect...don't mess with it. I was curious..
    Plus I hate complicating things. Drive pedals should be in front of the pre.

9. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    i never use fx loops.. but then my board is mainly made up of od/dist/fuzz, and i like to keep **** as simple as possible.
    i did try delay in the fx loop once, and i just did not like it. but like the post above, if you like it, stick with it!

10. Jeramaya

Jeramaya

Feb 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    I put my SFT pedal into the effects loop of a GK 1001-RbII and had some issues after doing so. It sounded fine for awhile--in fact, I thought it sounded better that way. However, within a few weeks, the volume started noticeably and considerably dropping to the point where almost no sound was heard. I took it out of the loop and put it back in front of the amp. Haven't had any problems since, although I also haven't checked out the loop to see if there were any problems. Exercise caution is what I'd recommend. Cheers

11. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Which channel are you using on that amp, or are you using both blended?

I'd imagine putting a pedal up front, and using it to drive the preamp tube of the vintage channel hard might be kick ass.

12. JehuJava

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yes! OP: This is what the drive part of overdrive means.