Overdrive, mild distortion pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alex_H, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Alex_H

Alex_H

Aug 5, 2019
    I'm looking for an Overdrive up to mild Distortion Pedal. It's no problem if it reaches into fuzz land as long the more suble overdrive and distortion is nice.

The pedal will be placed in the low pass loop of a "Tyler - The Frequency Splitter" pedal from KMA machines.

I want it, to give the bass part a little bit of growl. At the moment a Behringer BOD400 Bass Overrive is doing the job, but I want a real switch to engage. That way the pedal stays on, when I cut the power. Because of that, Boss pedals are out of question too.

I looked around and found those two pedals:

Bass Juice from T-Rex
    It offers a lot of gain an reaches into fuzz territory if needed. I really like the low gain settings.

Bass Soul Food from Electro Harmonix

Not so much gain as the Bass Juice, but I don't need that much gain. Sounds real nice for me and even sounds great with a normal guitar.

Do you have any experience with one of them? Did I miss a great pedal?

2. EHX Hot Wax dual overdrive.

matty1039, Leonid Nidis and Alex_H like this.
  3. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    The full size TC Spark gets a lot of love around here, I personally didn’t like the bass soul food and returned it. I’m also a big fan of the sadly discontinued VOX Ice 9

Nunovsky, silentflash, Zbysek and 5 others like this.
  4. Alex_H

Alex_H

Aug 5, 2019
    Oh and I forgot, a blend/mix knob would be very welcome, to just dial back in some of the original signal. Sadly neither the TC Spark nor the Vox Ice 9 got one.

The EHX Hot Wax looks promising. More gain then I need, when both parts are engaged. Other then the two original pedals (hot tube and crayon) this one has a blend knob.

5. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    Just a personal thing and everyone has a different take, but the blend mix thing never worked for me. I like the full range sound just as happens in a driven tube amp.

6. I second the Spark Booster. It doesn’t cut any low end so no blend needed. It has bass and treble controls so you can even dial in more if you like. Other great options i’m also using myself for this purpose are the Bearfoot Blueberry and Fairfield Barbershop.

Zbysek, IronLung1986, rzero and 2 others like this.
  7. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    Scotland
    Definitely the Spark. I've had it for two months now, and it's my favourite overdrive ever. Tried lots, I still own and like many. This one is the best for me. Sounds great with rounds, flats and on guitar.

8. SunByrne

SunByrne trained monkey Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    I also use a TC pedal for this, but not the Spark, the MojoMojo. Maybe not quite as good as the Spark, but you can't beat the sub-$50 price tag.

Marihino, Bass4bros, Alex_H and 2 others like this.
  9. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    for just a hint of grit in your tone to almost fuzz it does not get much better that the Durham Sexdrive

Alex_H and Adienn7 like this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    I’d recommend a Southampton Fifth Gear V2. Handles everything from mild overdrive to just shy of sweet fuzz. Very bass friendly too. Gets a lot of love around TB. And for good reason.

93DA66D6-72B4-4844-803D-58BBB36F9292.jpeg

11. Steve88

Steve88

Mar 27, 2014
    Macedon, NY
    I have a SGFX Beta that I like alot. It can go from no overdrive at all to fairly obnoxious (IMO). It does add a bit of low mid boost and cuts some of the treble, but I find it works well to keep the overdriven signal strong in the mix.

Along with it's intended purpose, I also use it fairly regularly with the gain very low, just to fatten a jazz bass or a solo'd bridge pickup.

Alex_H, jj4001 and And I like this.
  12. Dave the Bass

Dave the Bass

Sep 11, 2011
    Hannibal,Mo
    I love my Bass Soul Food, gives me plenty of drive without being harsh.

Alex_H, Kukulkan61 and WillyWonka like this.
  13. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist: Nordstrand Audio, Tsunami Cables

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    EHX Battalion, EHX Hot Wax, EHX Bass Soul Food, TC Electronic Spark Booster (not the mini), Creation Audio Grizzly

Zbysek, Alex_H and WillyWonka like this.
  14. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Solidgoldfx beta, for sure

Alex_H and jj4001 like this.
  15. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    Soûl food didn’t work for me

I would into Darkglass

Alex_H likes this.
  16. Phil60

Phil60 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Charlotte, NC
    Yes on the Grizzly!

upload_2020-2-9_20-16-23.png

17. Matty Koff

Matty Koff Inactive

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I can't speak for many drive/distortion/fuzz pedals for bass as I've only owned two. But I wasn't ever big on my EHX deluxe Big Muff Pi.. and my Source Audio Aftershock Bass Distortion pedal has impressed me. It's digital, but out of the box has a decent tube drive setting, heavy distortion setting, and fuzz setting.. and if you dig into it with the desktop app or the smartphone app, you can save up to 6 presets, and there's like 40-50 different distortion engines to choose from that are meant to get close to a variety of distortion pedals out there that you can combine two of to make your 6 presets.

Looking at the app right now -
    up to two distortion engines at once with a selection up near 50 different engines
    parametric EQ
    Highpass and lowpass filters and frequency shelves with various levels of decibel boost
    Noise and filter gates
    mono or stereo out
    Expression control for Drive, Output level, Clean/wet mix level, or treble.

Personally, it more than covers my needs for anything distortion, and if you're tech savy or at least know your way around windows you might have some fun with it.

Quite a versatile pedal.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    KPJ, Alex_H, oren and 1 other person like this.
  18. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    I’m a soul food fan, both the guitar and bass version work well with bass. Bass version adds a blend knob.

The mojomojo is also quite awesome.

The joyo ultimate drive is supposed to be a copy of the OCD, but I haven’t tried the OCD.
    The ultimate is about as dirty as I get, and is an awesome pedal in its own right.

the dpfx (silver) is dirtier still, but I’m not sure where to find them.

ACE2B79C-79D8-4BB6-BFCA-AF57E10EA8DA.jpeg

Alex_H likes this.
  19. Rojd

Rojd Supporting Member

May 29, 2018
    Rocky Mountains
    I have a Bass Soul Food and Hot Wax, like them both. SolidgoldFX Beta DLX is solid, there's one in the classifieds right now.

Alex_H likes this.
  20. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Bass Soul Food suggested this many times on one page before!

I really like the BSF as a mild overdrive, and it’s relatively inexpensive as well. I also like the Ampeg Scrambler as a mild OD pedal. It can get dirtier than I need, but I like how it sounds and I like the blend knob, which helps maintain low end and keep the level of drive in check.

I also have the Mojomojo but it gets a little dirtier than I need so I don’t really use it. It’s a great value and sounds really nice.

Alex_H and WillyWonka like this.