1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overdrive pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ellefsonwannabe, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ellefsonwannabe

ellefsonwannabe

Nov 12, 2012
    ohio
    Recently I posted on Reddit about looking for my own tone. After that I went to my local Guitar Center and started messing around with new gear, where I fell in love with an Ampeg SVT classic. I loved the sound, but I wanted a bit more of a rock/metal tone. I plugged in a Boss Bass Overdrive and was ecstatic to find this simple setup made me want to play more. I wound up playing for an hour, loving every sound. However, I started to consider maybe using a different pedal. The selection wasn't very big, so I left to do some research on my own. I looked at the Fuzzrocious Dark Driving, the ZVex Basstortion, Tortuga Effects pedals, the Wooly Mammoth, and a few others. Since I've only heard the Boss pedal in real life on not on crappy video through crappy laptop speakers, though, I thought I'd ask you guys to see what your recommendations were. I'm still probably going to use some of the pedals I already have, but this is just an experimentation phase. I'm saving up now for the amp and either 6x10 or 8x10 cab, and just need effects to round it out. Do any of you guys have any of these pedals, or have you heard them in real life, or have any that you would recommend?

EDIT: I'm really looking at the Tortuga Effects Werewolf, the Fuzzrocious Dark Driving, or one that keeps popping up, Microtubes B3K

2. Barca_bass

Barca_bass

May 22, 2011
    Anytime a question about overdrive pedals pops up, I have to mention: Microtubes B3K. I love mine. There are plenty of demos on youtube you could check out as well as on their official site. Good luck finding the pedal for you

3. Do you have a specific budget? Any special tone that would help us helping you?

4. ellefsonwannabe

ellefsonwannabe

Nov 12, 2012
    ohio
    I'm already saving for an Ampeg SVT classic, so really a little more waiting wouldn't kill me. However much is necessary.
    Looking for an Evanescence-meets-Megadeth distorted, overdriven, punchy, cutting tone.

5. ellefsonwannabe

ellefsonwannabe

Nov 12, 2012
    ohio
    I think the B3K, that's one that keeps popping up. Where can I find one?

6. Barca_bass

Barca_bass

May 22, 2011
    http://www.darkglasselectronics.com/
    They also have other online retailers and places where you can buy them in stores (not sure where exactly), but you can find all that info on their website. Also, you can probably find one used in the classifieds section here on TB

7. +1... B3K
    Add 1... Rusty Box

8. Stretchhh

Stretchhh

Jan 10, 2012
    WA, Australia
    Go the B7K over the B3K due to the extra features. As well look at the Fuzzrocious Oh See Demon as that is my main go to pedal when I run my SVT 2Pro.

9. TRyan5289

TRyan5289

Jul 18, 2012
    Davenport, Iowa
    I'm running a Green Rhino (based on a tubescreamer) through a blender pedal, and I'm digging the overdrive I'm getting.

10. ellefsonwannabe

ellefsonwannabe

Nov 12, 2012
    ohio
    I was actually looking at Fuzzrocious pedals, but really kinda liked the Dark Driving. Do you use that at all, or know what it sounds like?

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I tend to recommend the silverstone-It's fantastic!
    http://musiciansounddesign.de/
    I find this one extremely tempting too:).
    http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/holyfire

12. Stretchhh

Stretchhh

Jan 10, 2012
    WA, Australia
    I actually have two but I have found my taste in music change to a heavier tone. The dark driving is great for driving the front of an amp with a bit more grit from your instrument. It was designed to colour your tone accordingly to how hard you play, harder the filthy and vice versa.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like some other OD pedals more than the Boss, but it's obviously struck a chord with you, and it's a pedal a lot of bass players secretly like when they're not frontin' on the internet ;) But a lot of folks who are into distortion usually have a handful of different ones, and use them for different things. So even if you find the distortion pedal of your dreams, it's not going to be able to do everything. I say start your collection with the Boss...it's relatively inexpensive and sounds good. The important thing is getting the SVT ;)