1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CaptainSir, May 17, 2011.

1. CaptainSir

CaptainSir

May 12, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    alright guys im looking for the overdrive pedal.

i want something that is really clean but still has that slight overdrive almost like a growl to it just to give it that extra push out of the mix for some higher end solo stuff or just big chorus'

i have used a keeley mod TS-9 and liked it but i had to keep gain down on it and couldnt really find the exact tone i was looking for.

i currently have a pork loin its alright still not what im looking for.

any suggestions. im a pretty patient person so money isnt really an problem if i find something i want im good about being patient and getting what i need. i like the Budda phatbass. really hard to find one when i have the money. any suggestions are welcome. thoughts ideas throw them out there.

2. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I would suggest the Holy Fire (I own one and I have been happy with it despite the obscene price). The Wren and Cuff Phat Phuc is also a good option.

3. CaptainSir

CaptainSir

May 12, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    looks pretty good.. the price tag doesnt really bother me as much as the 48V power supply you have to run on it.

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Do you want full bass response or are you just after the higher/trebly end of things?

5. CaptainSir

CaptainSir

May 12, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    either or. i am open to suggestions. i have had a ts9 and currently have a pork loin like i said i am really just looking for suggestions or opinions right now...
    my short list is:
    Budda PhatBass
    EBS valve Drive
    DHA od's
    or maybe another TS9
    im just looking for other options or suggestions

6. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Ive been on this quest for years.
    Currently I'm using the Digitech hardwire tube OD.
    It does pretty much exactly this and has a really useful eq too

7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    next on my list to try is the NOC3 PureDrive.
    it has a blend feature, which appeals to me. perhaps it will appeal to you as well.

8. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Barber LTD.

9. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    I LOVE the sounds I can get out of my Pork Loin. Just make sure you've tried it every which way, as it has a lot of knobs which each have a dramatic effect on the sound of the pedal...the perfect sound might be in there and you wouldn't have to spend any money...(not treating you like an idiot, the Way Huge pedals are tricky buggers if you ask me, but worth the trouble of experimenting with them...)

-JV

10. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    This is going to be my next overdrive. I think this is what you might be looking for. Doug, the founder of Darkglass electronics, is frequently on here also and is very cool and knowledgable. Microtubes B3K « Darkglass Electronics

There are clips of it on the page and I love the way it sounds. Its a little expensive but I will also wait till I get money for it cause I rather pay for quality.

Also the Mad Professor Blueberry overdrive sounds cool if you like that style of overdrive.

11. Since you like the sound of a TS9 how about a voodoo lab sparkle drive? its a lot like ts9 with a clean blend on it. or maybe even the new bass tube screamer ibanez just put out.

12. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    While it's not technically an overdrive (and forgive me if it's not really addressing the question because of it), a buddy of mine gets a great overdrive sound from a SansAmp.
    It's subtle. Just a little grind and it pushes the front end of the amp really hard. I've heard him use it many times through a lot of different rigs and he always sounds good.

13. pbassdave

pbassdave

Feb 3, 2011
    missouri
    If you want a blend knob, then the TS9B is awesome. If you want a 3 knob, then the Dredgetone Angler is a good one.

14. CaptainSir

CaptainSir

May 12, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    Dredgetone Angler- really need to check this out i havnt really ever heard of it so could be intresting thanks

voodoo lab sparkle drive - i might check it out see if anyone does a mod on it i hear the stock ones muddy up the low range which is alright i use it more for higher stuff maybe intrested in looking into it thanks

Microtubes B3K « Darkglass Electronics i have heard of this pedal but really need to look into it thanks. i havnt heard any negative or positive reviews only people mentioning it

Barber LTD - one of those where i saw about one you tube video and wasnt really impressed but if you saying you like it then i guess its worth another look

NOC3 PureDrive - sounds awesome never heard of it i will be checking it out soon

sansamp - i am not a fan of tech 21 products at all i have had the sansamp bass driver di not a fan. a lot of people use the vt bass im not that impressed its probably just me. im not saying its not a good pedal im just saying its not for me.

mad proffessor blueberry more of a fuzz pedal im sure i could get the sound im looking for with it but would take a lot of tweeking and i already have all my heavier dirt sounds taken care of. thank
    also thanks for all the input keep it coming anyone that has anything else to ad or anything else for me to check out. trust me i will be looking into all these pedals. i love to do research before i drop cash on anything

thanks
    Captain

15. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

+1

16. DeluxyMike5

DeluxyMike5

Feb 5, 2008
    Houston
    i think it is ironic that we are both looking for the same sound. i liked that the pork loin was very transparent and no low end loss but it felt like the high end/clarity suffered a bit. i just barely tried the keeley TS9 today and like it ok for what i am looking for(more tweeking to come when i have the time). and the pork loin does have a variety of tones if you want to take the time to explore.

i heard from a friend (and have personally heard live) that the xotic Bass BB is bassically a tube screamer for bass and has tone control (bass and treble). when i heard it, it sounded really great but so much goes into these things like passive/active, pup set up, pick/finger playing, soft/hard touch. if you are looking for a light overdrive sound the xotic bass rc boost can achieve this but turning up the gain knob more then the volume. i use it as a clean preamp so I can't do both. but xotic has good stuff.

I used to have a Catalinbread SFT and it colors your sound too much(mid boost) which might sound good if you have a passive bass and roll off the tone. but again for me it wasn't what i was lookin for. Hopefully the TS9 is, if not i'll probably resort to the Xotic bass BB. The search continues . . . good luck with your hunt and thanks for all your patience in our trade transaction! :bassist:

17. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Pretty sure this gets asked at LEAST once a day in a new thread

18. Tech 21 Leeds might also be a nice option.

19. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I enjoyed the Holy Fire when I had it. It is more of a round, warm tubey sound than a growly gritty one. I loved it for recreating classic reggae/dub and Jamerson like tones, but not as much for rock.

This one surprised me. Didn't try it with my bass or amp but fooled around at Guitar Center with it and it was better than I thought it would be. No real in depth experience but I'd like to try it again some time.

Perfect for keeping your tone but adding a bit of grit. I actually think this might be the pedal for your needs. Still miss mine at time.

Very tweakable and has a great "clean" blend that actually enhances tone a bit. I just never fell in love with it. It seemed like I was forever trying to twist knobs and adjust trimpots when other pedals (like the Barber) gave me what I wanted very easily.

This is my current overdrive (I still need to make clips for NewLaw83 and others) and I absolutely dig it. That said, it is expensive and while it has a clean blend the "wet" side colors your tone by a substantial amount just due to the built in EQ shapes, especially with the attack switch up. But it has a fantastic breakup that reminds me of aggressive tube amps.

For just a "touch" of grit the drive knob really needs to be almost at minimum with the blend to taste but it can do those sounds as well as heavy OD/light distortion. Great pedal.

I was very excited about this one but early clips and reviews have turned me off and was surprisingly fuzz like. Doesn't sound at all like the original BJFE Blueberry Bass OD which was thick, wooly and tubey. But that one is expensive, rare and probably not what the captain is looking for since it colors your tone significantly and rolls off the high end.

The SansAmp BDDI is a great tool and has a blend but again significantly colors your tone as does the VT Bass and the Leeds. I'd call these amp emulators rather than overdrives per se. Same with the Catalinbread SFT really.

The Angler is one that cuts through a mix really well but sounds really fizzy and buzzy by itself. Interesting pedal.

There are a number of tubescreamer clones for bass.

The HBE Hematoma is a very dark sounding bass oriented one that I like. The Xotic is a bit flatter sounding and works really well. The Fulltone Bass Driver sounds great but is big and cuts some low end. The Sparkle Drive is guitar oriented but has a clean blend that makes it work well on bass and the TS9B is one that I haven't tried yet but sounds promising. I wonder if it is basically the same as the Voodoo Lab or if there are additional tweaks for bass beyond the clean blend.

Anyway, there are some thoughts on the overdrives that have been suggested that I have some experience with. Hope that helps.

20. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Some of the suggestions listed in the thread are more in the realm of distortion than overdrive. I know the definition is.....fuzzy but I tend to think Tube Screamers are distortion pedals more than overdrive.

If you are looking for more than an overdrive, the Way Huge Green Rhino is terrific. It's my favorite in the Tubescreamer family. Other pedals I like in this genre are the Xotic BB Preamp (the orange one for guitar - not the black one for bass). Also the Digitech Badder Monkey. The difference between the 3 are very subtle. The rhino is fatter and more versatile tonally (that 12 db cut boost at 100 htz) is killer on bass; the BB is airy and kind of brassy, the Badder Monkey is a little dark but very organic sounding with a fizzy top. Again these are subtle differences.

To my ear the Hematoma is not dark it is just right and it's my favorite distortion/overdrive pedal. I love the independant build-in boost. The version I have has the blue knob not the puprple one. This might make a difference.

Good luck on quest!