Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Overrated Orchestral Repertoire

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by PaulCannon, Jan 24, 2006.

1. If we're talking about underrated music, why not overrated?

Ever heard Hovanness' And God Created Great Whales...? It's the dumbest, most pretentious piece of crap I ever heard. The music itself is really bad, and the effects, most notably the recorded whale song, are supremely annoying.

I also want to say many of Mozart's pieces are overrated. They can be fun to play, sometimes, but I get so agitated when I try to listen to them. I don't have the patience for his stuff I would for, say, Shostakovich or Beethoven.

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I definately agree on the Mozart stuff. I just heard one of his symphonies this past weekend along with the Beethoven Violin Concerto and a contemporary piece, and it was the hardest to sit through.

The others of course, were a joy:)

3. Yes. Too many notes.

[​IMG]

4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    You guys are crazy!!!

5. "Mozart was a bad composer who died too late rather than too early." - Glenn Gould

6. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    There's no doubt in his genius, but can you not admit he gets monotonous to listen to after long.

We have the extreme popularity and therefore frequency of his music, mostly major keys :meh: and relatively predictable music (classical period in general). It's good, and there are some pieces which really stand out (horn concertos come to mind) but a lot of it gets tiring, is all.

Just trying to justify my statement.

7. jvillarreal

jvillarreal

Oct 7, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Y'all must have some bad Mozart recordings, or something. I feel challenged and invigorated when I listen to Mozart recordings and even more so when I play his music. As bass players, it's easy to get bored when we are approached with a bar full of repeated eighths or a series of whole notes. But the charm in those lengthy, repetitious patterns in Classical era music is not necessarily in the notes, but in how those notes are played... direction, line and such. That nuance should come through in a good recording, and a good conductor will understand the aesthetic and bring out the charm in Mozart's pieces. Just my 2 cents:)

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - Mozart wrote an awfully large number of pieces and there's no doubt that many of them were written solely for the money - to make ends meet and not necessarily as works of Art.

Mozart was in the entertainment business - he wrote for money - what people at the time wanted to hear - if he had written anything too weird or challenging - he woudn't have survived.

The fact that any of his pieces survive to today - given the severe contstraints under which he was working - is demonstration of his greatness.

But of course, many of his compositions were churned out as quickly as he could, to fulfill a commission and so you have to be very selective which works you choose...

No doubt that several of his operas are true works of genius - Don Giovanni and Magic Flute for example.

His String Quintets are wonderful and some of his piano concertos have exquisitely beautiful melodies....:)

9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    The older I get :( the more I appreciate Mozart. When I was in college I didn't really get what was so special about his music. Now if I had to listen to only one composer and forsake all others I would choose Mozart. We can talk about this again in 20 years ;).

10. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    Symphonie Fantastique. It's a nice piece of music, but in my opinion a tad overplayed and hyped up.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Who exactly "hypes it up" - where can I read this? :meh:

[Personally, I would consider it a great work of Art and can't get enough of it!]

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Mozart is tedious ? NOT if your PLAYING it !!!!! It 's more like LeMans...

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Anything written in C# is overrated... I guess that would include Wagner but i happen to like Wagner. I cannot understand why some of those Romantic composer wrote in c# when nobody can tell he difference between c and c#...it's not like we're using Just Intonation...Then I can understand writing in different keys..

14. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Anything by Phillip Glass is overrated.

IMO: Whatever it is that he is trying to do musically surely can be done in some other way that is more interesting. But even if you are of the mind that the sound he is making is good and artistically pleasing, then I would have to ask: "why bother whole orchestras with this music?" There seems to be very little room for interpretation, and expression. Why risk carpal tunnel for this kind of music?

This is what MIDI was meant for.

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

:D :D :D :D :D

[​IMG]

16. "they rumble on, generally out of tune" - Mozart on double basses - seems he had a point (see above)

17. Bruce Lindfield

By whom - can you point me to any good reviews.....;)

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I hope not.

I hope not.

I hope not.

I hope not.

I hope not.

I hope not.

I hope not.

I hope not.