1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ow that hurt.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, May 7, 2010.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    What's the worst injury you've recieved while playing bass?

2. Headstock to the face... step back trip on cable dive into drums... cut my elbow on some cymbals....

3. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Feb 21, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I tore a tendon in my fretting hand ring finger almost 20 years ago. Doesn't work right to this day, but it did improve my pinky technique!

4. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Had a string snap and slash my face once while I was tuning it. (they were the strings that came with a fleamarket bass I bought)

5. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    I got slugged in the face by our manager (he was drunk) while I was playing and singing. Since I wear glasses, I wound up with a couple of stitches right beside my eye. Never played for that bunch again.

6. Thought it would look cool to kind of step real far forward back leg straight, front leg bent, kind of like a forward lunge, while raising the bass up by the neck, for show, you know.

Works better when you dont step on a mic cord, which then rolls forward on you and converts it into something of a forward split as your front foot continues to slide forward.

Felt something pop in my hip, but must have been like a knuckle cracking rather than popping completely out of place, it was pretty sore for a while, but no apparent permanent damage....

Scared the crap out of me though..

Randy

7. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I'm slightly new to bass, but I've played drums for 20 years. I was at a club, watching the band performing before my band play, when the pit went to hell and this dude came flying at me. I went to catch him, as he was off balance, and ended up breaking my pinky on my right hand. I set up my 7 pcs kit w/ 9 cymbals and played 13 of the 15 songs from the set list before I couldn't take the pain anymore. Worst pain evAr.

8. strozey

strozey

Jul 16, 2008
    California
    Endorsing Artist: John Jameson & Sons
    didnt happen to me but a couple weeks ago the bassie in a death metal group was kind of arching back for emphasis on a certain passage, started to fall back overcorrected and then fell face first off the stagebut not quite far enough where anyone could catch him, he fell and landed right on his side at a near 45 degree angle parallel onto the steps themselves and faceplanted the floor, heard he had purple bruises all down his side

9. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Wasn't playing but while loading my cab and amp onto my handtruck, the bungee cord slipped off and whacked me on the side of the head and it really hurt. If you whipped me with it on my ear, thats what it felt like

10. I'm not even sure what happened here, but this is the story.

The band I was in from late 2001 to 2005 was in the process of writing our first demo. I was on unemployment at the time, our vocalist worked out of the house and our drummer and guitarist were from out of state so we pretty much jammed for at least 6 hours every day. I don't know if I was just overdoing it or what but about four days in, I started getting this annoying cramp in my right hand. I took a short break and massaged my hand until the cramp went away, then went right back to playing. About halfway into the third song the cramp started coming back, much worse than before. We stopped playing and went upstairs to take a break. The pain in my hand started getting worse and worse and I began to notice something strange: I couldn't see the veins in the back of my hand. Within five minutes my hand was visibly swelling and I couldn't figure out why for the life of me. I had stretched properly before playing, I wasn't playing in any uncomfortable, unnatural positions, I hadn't whacked my hand against anything, there was simply no explanation for it that I was aware of. I ended up taking the rest of the night off and went home, not wanting to go to the hospital due to my lack of health insurance. When I woke up the next morning, everything was back to normal. Not the slightest trace of pain or swelling. It was like it had never happened. Nothing like that had ever happened to me before and it hasn't happened since.

11. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

over twenty-five years ago ...
    :ninja:
    it was a new years eve gig , and i got sucker-punched during a song .
    actually , hit on the top of my head with a champagne bottle , by bitch ex-girlfriend .

lights out for me .
    lots of blood on the floor .
    required six stitches .
    :atoz:
    ... bitch .
    :mad:

12. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Ego bruise. Couple times actually. :D:bassist:

13. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Separated tendon. Right elbow. Surgery required. YOWZA!

14. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Assualt charges were filed?

It would be nice to see an ex- like that in jail. Lots safer for the rest of the guys.

Dan K.

15. My band was getting into a song, just jammin along on stage and the singer grabs the mic stand like Axl Rose and swings around. I had my back to him and got nailed by the bottom of the mic stand cause he swung around pretty fast.

16. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I once smacked myself in the face with the top horn on my bass while rocking out too hard during a set.

Gave myself a black eye and a concussion, but I didn't miss a note also finished the set without a hitch.

If you look at pictures from the show you can see my eye swell up throughout the course.

I usually end up hurting myself at most shows, but that one was the most noticeable afterward.

17. Hutch1

Hutch1

Mar 19, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Are you in '80s tribute band "Mike and the Masochists?" (JK)

18. At one gig I thought it would be really cool if at the end of the skng I smacked myself head on with the back of my bass xD My head was ringing the rest of the set.

Also at another gig we were going into a chorus which is a big buildup so I jumped landed on my bass cable slipped and fell into my amp. Ow...

19. Jlinnell7

Jlinnell7 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    New Orleans
    slipped on a fatass speaker cable while pulling off the most incredible bassline ive ever written, :D falling facefirst into my drummers crash cymbal(which is a big ass ride cymbal to point that out) and split my forehead open requiring 12 stitches....OW!!!!!

20. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

no assault charges were filed , but as soon as they saw what was happening ,
    some U.S. Marines literally threw her out into the parking lot ,
    where she was later arrested for drunk and disorderly . :D

i ended up at Ft.Sam Houston emergency for the stitches ...:atoz: