1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ozric Tentacles

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Blort, May 22, 2011.

1. Blort

Blort Banned

Apr 23, 2011
    Detroit, Michigan
    Anyone else familair with this band?

I have liked them for years, finally got their whole discovery. I'm not familair with the bands history, but they have had a lot of members. Some of their bass lines are excellent.

coilcbl_RT likes this.
  2. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Roscoe Basses, 64 Audio IEM, GHS Strings
    Great band. I haven't really kept up with them for some time though.

3. The Mouse

The Mouse

Jun 2, 2009
    Ireland
    Theres a blast from the past.. Good stuff!

4. KenHR

KenHR

Jul 28, 2010
    Waterford, NY
    I stuck with them up thru Arborescence, but they were repeating themselves by then. I don't know if they lasted long after that album, though? Lost track of Winne entirely.

"Saucers" from Strangeitude is probably my favorite track of theirs. I have the CD box set of their early albums, too; love the live album where it's announced thtat the drummer has evaporated. :)

5. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    I remember them. They had a track on a sampler from the 90's that I got at a headshop. Pretty cool band.

6. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    I saw them a bunch of times in the early 90s and they were an incredible live band with insane energy. Everyone was dancing for hours.

Saw them again late 90s/early 00s and they had changed a lot. Much more ambient. The audience just sat chilling. Not so much my thing.

I'd recommend the earlier material up to and including Erpland. After that, YMMV.

7. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    i used to like Jurassic Shift a lot... Not sure i'd dig it quite as much now.

Me and my mate went to see them live in Manchester... We took mushrooms and somehow he managed both to **** his pants and to meet the woman who later became his wife. To this day she doesn't know about the mushrooms or the trouser mishap.

4001 likes this.
  8. I've listened to them for 10+ years, lots of great bass groovin on most albums. The later ones I can't always tell if it's real bass or programmed. I like Arborescence, Erpland, Curious Corn and The Hidden Step the most.

Roly Wynne (guitarist Ed Wynne's bro) played bass on the earlier material but sadly committed suicide in the 90's sometime... Zia did the bass after that.

9. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Thanks to the OP for bringing this up. Hadn't heard of them & really digging it.

10. I saw them live twice, once with Rodger Waters son on keyboards.

I have all the recordings... and in a way its like Kiss... they put out the same album 20 times, and if you are a fan you'll get every one, because there is just enough variation to make it fresh. You really can't go wrong with any of them, but get "Jurassic Shift" if you only want one, (has both Roly and Zia on bass), or "Spirals in Hyperspace" for the more recent techno / trance direction.

That said, this is one of my favorite groups ever, not so much for the bass playing, as the marriage of rock, techno, dub, ambient, bubbling arpeggiated synth, odd time sigs, and general spaciness. The last few CDs are all Ed Wynne, and he does some wicked sequenced bass lines, very musical, and always in taste with the song.

11. There are some GEMS after Arborescence to my ears. Big fan of Swirly Termination. Floating Seeds REMIX album is quite impressive as well.

My favorite will always remain "SPLOOSH.
    Think that is on Strangeitude or Pungent Effulgent.

12. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Allright! Jam Band Fans!

13. KenHR

KenHR

Jul 28, 2010
    Waterford, NY
    It's on Strangeitude.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check them out!

14. Smit_Dogg

Smit_Dogg

May 17, 2009
    Cumbria, UK
    Ozrics are fantastic, They're from the Hawkwind mold but they have really set themselves apart adding the dancey/electronica element to it. Roly Wynne, their original bass player was fantastic and quite an influentual player in his own right. its also worth checking out Eat Static, a side band of Ozrics which is more dance orientated.

15. Hifiguy

Hifiguy

Jul 9, 2008
    Great band, though the only constant seems to be Ed Wynne's presence. I do like me some space fusion, and they do it extremely well.

If you like the Ozrics, check out Gong's "Radio Gnome Invisible" trilogy or Steve Hillage's mid-1970's solo albums.

16. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Thankyou!

I'd totally forgotten about Hillage's solo stuff until you mentioned it here. Time to dig out Green and crank up The Glorious Om Riff offensively loud... mmm .... space rock nostalgia ...

edit: From one youtube commenter "I was absolutely baked the first time I heard this and when the main riff kicked in I felt like I was being shot out of a cannon. 15 years later and I still enjoy it." Yup, that's pretty much my recollection...

17. Bumping this thread because I have just discovered this band.......

I put this album on at 7:30 this morning... still listening as I type this... mind blowing sounds.

Driving could be hazardous while listening to this stuff....

Wow. Always cool when you discover and are listening to new music for the first time....
    It feels like you found another key to unlock another musical door.... a BIG one.!

omie, jerry and NealBass like this.
  18. NealBass

NealBass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2014
    Ontario
    I saw them in the '90s when they flew over to do a one off show in Toronto. Amazing musicianship. I helped them pack up until the wee hours. Really nice guys. I still have a 6 CD box set of all their early stuff that's very rare. Erpland is my favorite album.

omie likes this.
  19. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    It’s funny this thread got bumped as the Ozrics’ old singer is now the sound guy at my local venue. We’ve played there a few times. I did explain the story from my previous post to him :ninja:

omie likes this.
  20. coilcbl_RT

coilcbl_RT

Dec 23, 2010
    Ha! Friend turned me on to them maybe mid 90s? Picked up Erpland and another I think called Underslunky something... ('kay, back from visiting Google) "Live Underslunky." Great tunes- kind of a contemporary revival of the Soft Machine/Curved Air/Hatfield and The North "Canterbury sound." A few great bootlegs out there too.