1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P Bass/J Neck...Mike Dirnt P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Russell L, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Well, almost...it's a P Bass with split coil, but it also has what Fender calls a "thick C shape" neck profile, that is 1.59" at the nut. By dang, I was looking for a Precision with a Jazz neck, and that's as close as I can get. I already have an '87 Jazz Bass Special, but I wish it weren't all black. And I've never been fond of the painted headstock. Great player, though! Really!

I did a search, but didn't find much on here. So, how does the Mike Dirnt P do? I like the '51 style, and all the hardware seems to be good enough. I love the vintage white, and the price is good. How does it do for weight? I figure it might be a tad heavy?

Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

(I got Da GAS!:help:).

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    The neck on the Dirnt is very thick (front to back). It feels very large in your hand and not very "J-like". I dig the look of the Dirnt, but for me, the Dirnt neck has always been the turn-off (and the Badass bridge). It's just not comfortable in my hand.

Most of the ones I've played in stores have been on the heavy side of moderate, but like all Fenders, the weights can range quite a bit.

My #1 is a parts bass built from a Dirnt body, '51RI neck, Fralin pup, and Hipshot Ultralite tuners. The body I have is one of the lightest full-size ash bodies I've ever come asross - right at 4 lbs. - and makes for a very pleasantly light instrument. It also sounds awesome!

Unfortunately, due to the square heel shape on the Dirnt (unlike the rounded heel found on J's and most split-coil P's), your options for swapping out the neck are pretty limited.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Your description of the neck makes me want to get one. I love a thick neck.

4. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    I have built this combination for years. It is very simple.

Find a P-bass body that you like, and a good Jazz neck, and stick them together.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I really haven't come across another Fender that is shaped like that - a little narrower than a typical P, but quite thick. If that's what feels good to you, it might be worth a try.

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Yes - if you're okay with a standard P body.

Another option would be to get a '51-style body from Warmoth and a pair it with the J neck of your choice. Warmoth cuts their bodies with a rounded neck heel.

7. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Fender Deluxe (are active) and the Aerodyne Precision (passive) (kinda rare but I have one) have what you are looking for. Or go cheaper and find a Squier Pbass special and mod it or another 80's like you have in a different color......

Or painting it is always an option...or trading it for different color.

8. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    I do prefer the original single-coil, with the updated forearm relief.

9. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Yeah, I know I could build something. It's a thought, but I'd rather just buy one put together. And no, I don't want active. I also like a thick neck. That's one reason it appeals to me. My JB Special's neck is a little thicker. It's also a 7-1/4" radius which I like better than 9-1/2". I'm curious how the Dirnt neck width feels. I really don't like 1.625" or 1.75". I prefer 1.5", but maybe 1.59" will feel ok.

Someone said the Dirnt is a little heavier. That's important to me. I guess I'll have to go look for one I can play somewhere.

Heh, I could just get another old Jazz Bass Special. But, now I got my mind on this Dirnt. Have mercy.

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Like all Fender basses, the weight can vary. The Dirnts I've played in my local GC have not been on the light side (but not overbearingly heavy, either). As I mentioned earlier, the Dirnt body that I have is one of the lightest full-size Fender bodies I've every seen. Good luck!

11. exmaxima1

exmaxima1

Jan 27, 2009
    Geneva IL
    Painted headstocks rule.

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Apparently not for Russell L.

13. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Meh. I like 'em on other brands, just not on Fenders. Can't explain why, I dunno.:meh:

Dear me, I can't get the vision of that Vintage White with rosewood outa my lil brain. It reminds me of a no-name bass I borrowed for a few months from a friend, before I had my own bass. It was a Tele bass copy. I played it enough to get hooked. There's just something about that color, and I actually like the white pickguard with it (although it would be difficult to resist putting a black one on).

Well, when my deceased brother's estate gets out of probate (I'm the sole heir) I will have a sizeable amount of change. We'll see what happens then (after I buy a coupla Barefaced cabs, heh, heh). Oh, Da GAS, Da GAS!:bassist:

14. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    This was my old Dirnt bass...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sjbass/sets/72157627600275624/

It weighed in right at 8 lbs., light and comfortable. I swapped the 'custom 1959' pup with and SD 1/4 pounder, and changed the PG a few times... The neck is BEEFy for sure, and the slab back takes a while to get cozy with, especially if you've got a little girth around the belly.

The neck felt pretty good, but it was the second Dirnt neck - the first one had its truss rod break during the initial setup.

As always, try 'em out first...

15. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Ebay is your friend:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOADED-Vint...099?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53eb64f6c3

plus

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-USA-Fe...567?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2ebde1c947

16. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    sj bass, that black pg looks delicious.

StrangerDanger, that all looks pretty good, actually. I don't have the dough yet, though.

17. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    just stumbled on this thread...
    I'm in the same position - I really dig Tele basses but need a J neck.
    Hope to build one with this body or this body. These bodies come with standard rounded pocket and that they would do PJ routing for same price.
    Pair that with a Mighty Mite neck from CEG hardtail.

Body and neck for under $300 - not bad.