1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P Bass MIM vs. P Bass MIJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brandonb1525, Oct 24, 2013.

1. brandonb1525

brandonb1525

Jun 15, 2012
    What is the difference between a mexican p bass and a japan p bass? And are the pickups different?

2. Outside of the obvious (one is made in Japan and the other in Mexico), it comes down to quality control. Traditionally, Japan's quality control as been every bit as good as those made in Coronado (USA). Mexican QC has been spotty in the past, but it appears they are getting consistently better as their fans seem to be on the increase.

3. brandonb1525

brandonb1525

Jun 15, 2012
    Talking sound and the way it plays, how do they differ?

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    More knowledgable TBers are gonna have specifics, but based solely on my non expert experience, the mij's feel and sound generally better than the mim's. That, and used mij's can easily be found for less than the cost of new mim's. The one annoying thing is truss rod access at the heel of the neck on the mij's.

5. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. there are several different models from both countries of origin ... are you comparing a 1995 MIM Standard P to a MIJ Sting Artist series P bass or a MIM Road Worn P to a mid 80's MIJ P?? .. not meaning to be rude, but I think you get the idea ... without more info, where do you start?

6. That is strictly a subjective argument (what they sound or play like). Always try before you buy and make that determination yourself. For every bass player who likes an MIJ or MIM, there is one who thinks the opposite. This may not help you much, but it is the truth. People's opinion is a far distant second to your opinion AFTER you have tried the actual bass.

7. brandonb1525

brandonb1525

Jun 15, 2012
    Well more specifically, a Pb70 MIJ vs a MIM 2003. I don't really know what a PB 70 is. Could you please explain. Just trying to learn

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    This is very true, but I think most TBers would generally agree that the mij's are generally superior to the mim's. But of course, it's all speculation till you get a chance to play it.

9. I would be one that prefers the MIJ's as well. I love my Fender Deluxe Jag (MIJ) and I wish they would make a 5 string version of it (the deluxe). Here is too waiting and hoping!:bassist:

10. cc9191

cc9191

Sep 11, 2012
    MIM's are quite hit or miss.. some are great, others have poor build quality.. worth trying out a few. I personally think MIA's are a bit of a rip off and MIJ's are just as good at a lower price.

Here's a link to a good comparison video between MIM, MIA and MIJ fender jazz basses. I know they're not P basses but it'll give you an idea about differences

11. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I own a PB 70. It is essentially a made in Japan p bass with US made pickups. It is styled after a 70s p bass, at least the headstock logo is anyhow. What I love most about the bass is the neck which is closer to a jazz bass width at the nut and the sound, which is awesome. I am sure there are great playing and sounding mim 2003 p basses but I go with what I know and I know I would never give up my PB 70.
    bass001.

12. cc9191

cc9191

Sep 11, 2012
    nice bass!

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Thanks a lot. I ditched the white pick guard for a black one and also removed the thumb rest that comes with that model. So far so good. Straight neck, low action and the US pickups really sound nice.