1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-Bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xavieronasis, May 30, 2005.

1. xavieronasis

xavieronasis

May 30, 2005
    Just wondering if 1000 bucks is, in your opinion, too high for a fretless 76 P-Bass that seems to be in pretty good shape? It feels great and sounds good, however, it looks like it has Jazz pickups on it. It doesn't look to have a proper fender marked neckplate either. I'm a total noobie when it comes to evaluating a bass, so I'm asking for your assistance in not getting suckered.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm not a Fender expert, but I would be leery of paying that for such a bass.

3. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    That seems pretty high for a bass that's been modified. With my limited experience, I have found that once something has been modified like that (especially if it involves routing out the body to fit a new pick-up) the value decreases significantly. And no Fender nameplate? It sounds like a parts bass. To give you a comparison, I just picked up an all original '77 P-bass (with an "A" neck) for $700. I'd do a little more research if I were you.....