Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

P-Bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xavieronasis, May 30, 2005.

1. xavieronasis

xavieronasis

May 30, 2005
    Just wondering if 1000 bucks is, in your opinion, too high for a fretless 76 P-Bass that seems to be in pretty good shape? It feels great and sounds good, however, it looks like it has Jazz pickups on it. It doesn't look to have a proper fender marked neckplate either. I'm a total noobie when it comes to evaluating a bass, so I'm asking for your assistance in not getting suckered.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm not a Fender expert, but I would be leery of paying that for such a bass.

3. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    That seems pretty high for a bass that's been modified. With my limited experience, I have found that once something has been modified like that (especially if it involves routing out the body to fit a new pick-up) the value decreases significantly. And no Fender nameplate? It sounds like a parts bass. To give you a comparison, I just picked up an all original '77 P-bass (with an "A" neck) for $700. I'd do a little more research if I were you.....