1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P-Bass Vs. Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonA119, Jul 21, 2012.

1. This may sound dumb, but it's an honest question. Why a P-Bass? Why not just roll the bridge pickup off and use the neck pickup on the Jazz Bass????? I get a great P tone by doing this...

GreaserMatt likes this.
  2. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Man you have opened up yourself a can of whoop ass now.. :bag:

3. I kinda figured...no worries. I honestly have no clue...

4. drummer5140

drummer5140

Aug 8, 2008
    Canada
    :bag:

5. Listen to someone playing a P-Bass playing live in a band. Perfect in the mix tone.

badstonebass and slobake like this.
  6. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    This has never come up before.

As a dyed in the wool P=Bass player, I have to say the neck pickup on a jazz falls in the "close but no cigar" category. It'll do in a pinch.

LoTone and Geri O like this.
  7. chubfarm2001

chubfarm2001 Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2010
    St. Marys, Ohio
    I completely agree. I can just isolate the bridge pickup on most of my basses and get that mid-heavy grit of a P. I find the Jazz much more versatile, but the P is pretty much locked into its own tone IMO.

Geri O likes this.
  8. Agreed. There's something about a P. Never liked the Jazzes as much.

--Silvie

lowerclef likes this.
  9. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    There is more between them than slightly a slightly different mid positioned pickup.

Different neck and body, different pickups... The P has a very peculiar tone (with a 'bump' in the low mids. You can get close with a J but not dead on. Hence, along with the basses ergonomics, why P's haven't been replaced by J's. Or PJ's or any of the other bass pickup configurations.

P's are here to stay (they are the essential electric bass for a lot of bassists).

Other basses are great too. Whichever does it for you :bassist:

Geri O likes this.
  10. back2thefuture

back2thefuture

Aug 26, 2011
    Austin
    this.

11. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Same reason youd wear track'n'field shoes vs cleats

Or an apple over an orange...

12. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    I have both a p and j. I would say the p has more girth, as weird as that sounds. I have eq my j every which way and no dice. It might be because p is wired in series rather than parallel

boristhespider9 likes this.
  13. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    Theyre tools.. Sometimes only one will do, sometimes you can fudge it, sometimes you dont care if you have the wrong one.

I used to dislike P's, but everytime I hear one its just magic. And, contrary to what I used to assume, I find that few pickups sound better taking a solo/lead highhhh up on the neck. So much character without too much fillee

14. No you don't.

:bag:

15. eddododo

Apr 7, 2010
    Bingo

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Beat me to it. :bassist:

17. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Wow...just wow.

18. I recently had a J vs P debate with myself when trying to decide on a new bass. I already had a P, like it alot, and at first thought i should get a jazz for the different flavour. Brought one home, and thought it was pretty good, but it sounded somewhat "mellow" no matter what i did. The neck pickup alone sounded more like a P bass, and i thought everything was good.

That is until i played my P bass again the next day. The P bass simply sounded superior to me. it was also more comfortable to play, both because of the neck and because the body is smaller than the offset waist body of the jazz.

Of course this is all personal opinion, but it goes to show that you cant assume the Jazz is superior simply because its a more complex design.

mancefine likes this.
  19. JRL

JRL

Jan 26, 2001
    Here is the deal: the Jazz was developed because Ps were blowing any kind of speaker you could throw them at. The 2 Jazz pickups canceled frequencies for a built in compression effect. On a P the harder you thump the bigger they thump, with a J you got a point of diminishing returns. Just my take on it.

20. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Sorry but no you don't The middle pickup on my Big Al doesn't sound like a P bass either.