1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    So, I've never been a P bass guy. I have a nice American Deluxe Jazz bass that's awesome, but I never really cared for a P bass. Ordinarily I gig with a 1974 Rickenbacker 4001, but recent events at gigs have got me thinking about leaving the Ric at home. So I have a pretty decent MIM P bass that I have always had set up with flats for practicing at home. Yesterday I put a set of Rotos on it and gave it a set-up and I have to say it is growing on me. I'll put it through it's paces at rehearsal on Wednesday and hopefully gig with it next weekend.

No real point in this thread, just thought I'd share.

2. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    I feel you man, I was the same way. Then I played them and kept listening to tracks with them and slowly started to understand why they're the industry standard!

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Recent convert myself. Now taking it a step further into SCPB region. Loving that thump.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

I am curious as to how it will sit in the mix compared to my Ric. I assume it will be less trebly, which considering my preamp and the herd of pedals I use, is probably a good thing. lol

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Wasn't a P guy either, until I got a PJ.

6. P-Bass rules!

Eventually everyone comes around to see the light.

(I resisted for years, then I got one - I ain't lookin' back!)

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I have a love hate thing with p-basses.

One day I will pick one up and I love the tone ... Then I play it for a while and I grow tired of it.

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Ya ... I gotta have a 2nd pickup on a p-bass also.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I like DR Low-Rider nickels on my P-basses.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

I like Rotos on everything. Blue Steels are nice too. Once I started using SS strings I cannot stand the tone of nickel.

11. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    What kind of events at gigs ? I'm an old Pbass guy but also love a nice Ric .

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis

Bar brawls. A fight broke out on the dance floor in this bar we were playing. There was room on the stage for the drums and amps, but us and our pedal boards and mics were on the floor. My mic got knocked over into my Ric, which was on the rack. Only put a small nick in it, but it prompted us to do 2 things. First of all, the guitar racks go behind the backline now and secondly, we bring a few guys with us to keep EVERYONE away from us and our gear.

There have been other fights, but thankfully they were in places where we were safely on an elevated stage. During the last one my guitar player went to put his guitar down and I stopped him. Then we played Bulls on Parade. lol

Anyway, the Ric is vintage and I'd prefer not to take it into some of the dives we play. Seems like a nice playing MIM P fits the bill for those places.

13. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I used only SS strings for the longest time, and now its almost all nickel strings on my basses. I like nickel or SS strings on my 44-60, but the P's have to be nickel.

I've been thinking about dedicating one of my P's to have flats :bag:

14. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Recently I had a chance to play 1971' Fender P-bass strung with flats and man it's beautiful. P+flats is a very good couple) Sounds very fundamental and feels perfect.

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I liked it with flats. Just didn't cut it with my band. Sounds about right with the Rotos though.

16. Also if needed, a p bass makes a worthy club in those rougher environments.

17. I bought a P Bass recently....Never gonna buy something else...It's really ALL I need in a bass.

Although, I could use a B string ;)

18. DTKempII

DTKempII

Apr 4, 2009
    The same way I feel about my Marcus Miller Fender Jazz I bought last year. I finally have a true pro-quality bass after all these years...one that every single note sounds awesome. I went 4-string on this one...but I do miss that 5th string...so I go back to my Jackson's when necessary.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    My American Deluxe Jazz smokes the P bass in every conceivable way. It was my father's though and it will never see a gig.

20. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, the MIM P's are very good basses the way that they come stock, but IME, if you install a duncan SPB1 pickup in it it'll be fatter, smoother, have a better string to string punch and balance and really capture a vintage P bass 'vibe'.