1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

P/J neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fresh Cream, May 26, 2011.

1. Fresh Cream

Fresh Cream

Mar 2, 2011
    Melbourne
    Hey everyone

I have a question. I know it's probably kinda dumb but to be honest I really don't know the answer! I can't find it anywhere!
    Anyway, I was wondering, what sort of neck does a P/J bass use? I ask this as I am thinking of ordering a fretless neck off warmoth when I get a newer bass.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    depends on the bass.. the squier p bass specials have j necks. the mark hoppus sig has a p bass neck. but with most squiers and fenders they necks with fit both p and j basses so go with the one you like better. The j neck is slightly slimmer at the nut. 1.5 inches to be exact. the p bass is 1.75 at the nut.

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    My '87 Jazz Bass Special (P body, P/J pickups) has a Jazz neck. I prefer it over a precision neck, personally. One thing about mine is that it also has a nice 7-1/4" radius, instead of the more modern 9" radius. I really like the feel.

4. Fresh Cream

Fresh Cream

Mar 2, 2011
    Melbourne
    Thanks for the replies guys, I measured my neck at the nut and it's about 1.6 inches so I think I have a P neck. Also I have an Aria STB series, does that mean fender necks would fit on it?
    Thanks for the help :)

5. New American Standard Ps have a 1.625 nut. In the 70s Ps were available with A (1.5 like jazz), B (1.625) or C (1.75) necks. Vintage radius is 7.25, modern 9.