1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

P pickup near MM sweetspot?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krovx, Dec 1, 2018.

1. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Saw this cool body. Wondering what it would sound like as it appears the pickup is closer to the bridge. I'm not a P fan but always looking for an excuse to try to become one. I played an MTD CRB once and dug that.

Thoughts?

Screenshot_2018-12-01-09-28-08~2.

MattZilla and staccatogrowl like this.
  2. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Anyone?

3. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I, too, would like to hear what it sounds like, but my gut tells me that it's not an optimal placement. Considering that Leo did a ton of experimentation in creating the Precision and the StingRay, I trust his judgment on "sweet spots" more than a modern-day tinkerer.

saabfender and krovx like this.
  4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The first Stingray Fender hand made.
    %20.

5. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I hear you. Worried it could exaggerate the less desirable tonal characteristics of a P and Ray.

6. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Oh wow!

7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Supposedly there were 26 prototypes. You can hear that particular one here:

I imagine that pickup placement would also sound very different on a hollowbody or semi-hollow as pictured in the OP's photo.

TinIndian, Microbass, HD007 and 4 others like this.
  8. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    What's on the headstock?
    Is this something homemade?
    Since you're not a P fan, but trying to become one, I doubt if this will get you there.

MattZilla and krovx like this.
  9. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    A builder on ebay with some interesting designs. Dig his walnut tops.

10. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Macho Jaco

11. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    awesome - even down to the 70's umbiquious appliance "Harvest Gold" -

TinIndian and lowdownthump like this.
  12. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Everytime I see this video it makes me wonder if they will ever release a limited run of remakes.

HD007 likes this.
  13. In the early 80s, I had a BC Rich Eagle that had twin Precision pickups.

Pretty much the standard Precision location, and another one very close to the bridge.

It added something to the bass' sound when blended with the neck pickup, but I did not like the sound of it soloed.

It did not sound like a Jazz pickup by the bridge.

Mike

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    lowdownthump likes this.
  14. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    I think that would be a very complex project, with lawyers being the primary beneficiaries.

The prototypes are part of the CLF archive, not the EBMM archive.

I imagine that Old Smoothie was only possible because it was Sterling Ball's own instrument, made uniquely for him, by Leo.

But who knows, maybe all the prototypes with Music Man on the headstock, are legally Music Man's IP, and Ernie Ball do actually own them, even though they live at CLF (at the time of the fall out, MM probably had no interest in evolutionary cul de sacs, and by the time Ernie Ball bought the company it was an irrelevance???).

It would be interesting, but of quite niche appeal, and given how modern musicians struggle to cope with the boost only 2 band, I think a cut only 2 band would cause people to have an aneurysm.

15. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Good points.

HD007 likes this.
  16. As regards the OP, if the budget and the time to finish it work, I'd go for it. I love the wood, and as the pickup is not backed right up to the bridge, on single p/u basses 'where' you pluck or pick the string (closer to the bridge, or closer to the fingerboard end) can make a big difference in tone. This works, of course, with two pickup axes as well, it's just not as audible as it is with single pickup layouts.

Personally I think the idea of 'sweet spots' for pickups is over-rated. Lots of 'old-school' designs (think Ric, Alembic, Gibsons, etc.) have the pickups at the bridge and at the fingerboard end, and while it does give a sonic profile due to that placement, lots of guys get great results. Those two spots would hardly be thought of as traditional 'sweet spots'.

krovx likes this.
  17. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    watch a peter hook or new order video where he's playing this
    peter-hook-bass-performs-with-revenge-at-the-paradiso-in-amsterdam-picture-id463006867.
    or this
    PeterHookPA120411.

18. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Learn so much via TB. Having a hard time finding an audible video of live playing. Anyone have some links?

19. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Thats a Reverse P......also, is it wired Series or Parallel? - because that will affect its tonality as much as placement/location for voicing

20. krovx

krovx Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    @SpazzTheBassist True. I would be more tempted if it was reverse P. Put a push/pull to switch from series to parallel.

I dig this MM style he has that's 3.3 lbs

Screenshot_2018-12-06-11-15-23~2.

And I would love a jazz body with this style:

Screenshot_2018-12-06-11-19-04~2.