Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PA Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Underdog, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Underdog

Underdog

Apr 10, 2005
    Tennessee
    Okay okay okay. I know it's not a bass amp, but you guys are all so knowledgeable, I didn't want to get my advice from anywhere but here.

I'm in a band and we own our own PA systems (monitors, Main, rackmountings and the like) but we managed to kill our PA. We think we pushed it too hard and blew the crossover and everything died. We also managed to blow our horn's voice coil too. Wasn't that a smart move on our part? It has fuses, and we checked and changed those. Checked the connections, everything was peachy, nothing worked. So we suspect we blew the crossover. Any ideas on how to diagnose this issue further?

Also, if it can't be fixed, where would I go about getting a new voice coil and a new Hi/low pass filter?

2. Id say just try each thing individually and see what works and what doesnt, if you can, you never went into much detail about what you have

3. Underdog

Underdog

Apr 10, 2005
    Tennessee
    Well. It's ghetto. It's an RCF 10 inch. an MTX 10 inch (I KNOW I KNOW! I'M REPLACING IT!) and the horn is...well...it's old and its missing its brandname.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Crossfader? Like on DJ mixers?

5. Underdog

Underdog

Apr 10, 2005
    Tennessee
    I had a feeling i'd mess the term up.

I'm talking about the electronics in the amps that are able to tell which signals go to what speaker. Hi/low pass filter, i think is what it is called now.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

7. Underdog

Underdog

Apr 10, 2005
    Tennessee
    Whoo. He gets what i'm talking about. Now i feel silly. :crying:

8. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    OK, blowing the crossover would explain blowing the HF driver. Now: active or passive crossover? And what model HF driver?