1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PA question for live show

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by facethebass, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Been playing with a band again for a few months, getting a set together to play a few shows. Our first is in a very small club with about 75 people. Here is our sound plan. Drums as is, bass and guitars through amps and 2 mics through a PA. It is not a lot of money but a fun gig for sure. For a PA, we have a Samson s63 powered mixer with one monitor (we have just been using that in rehearsals). I think the mixer is rated at 200 watts. My plan is to just rent a couple passive 10" speakers and maybe one more monitor. Is my thought process sound? Thoughts?

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    A lot depends on what you and the guitar player are playing through. Usually when we do small gigs (not often) I bring my Orange Terror bass and one or two 115 cabs because In the absence of a large PA with subs I have to cover the low end. We mic the guitar for solos only. We usually have two monitors out front and if we can swing it one for the drummer. We also mic the bass drum. Hope that helps.

3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    That's not enough horses to carry guitar and bass; use small stage amps for those instruments to balance with the drummer. Then use the Samson for vocals only.

Also, the Samson's spec sheet shows 4-ohm min operation. If you're using typical 8-ohm PA cabinets, you can only run two of them using the S63's built-in amp. (You could use the monitor out to feed either powered monitors or an external power amp that would drive your monitors.)

The keys to having a decent night:

• Keep stage volume low. (If your drummer and guitarist can't play quietly, you're in for a long night.)
    • EQ and place monitor for best intelligibility before feedback. (Look up the spec sheet of your vocal mics to see whether the best monitor placement is directly in front of the mic or at an angle.)
    • Use vocal effects sparingly,especially if you end up running the same output to one main and one monitor. (The more FX on your vocals, the less intelligible they'll be--meaning the more gain you'll need to hear them.)
    In short, you'll need to be realistic about—and adjust to—the modest volume you can wring out of your PA.

4. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1.

Get the amps' stage volume to balance well with the drums and no louder, then get the vocals in the PA to be just a tad louder than the rest of the stage volume, the stop there... you're done!

Also +1 to minimal effects and using the monitor just for vocals with judicious EQ-ing.

That rig will get you through the show, but it's gonna be pretty stripped down.

5. The drummer can play quiet and often will (though I am sure he would just love to cut loose.) I am going through a Yorkville 400b and the guitarist has something that will carry the guitar. Thanks we will set the stage to the drum levels and no more. The powered monitors is a great idea thank you. Thanks for the advice on effects and eqing as well.
    As always-you guys are fountain of knowledge and experience.

6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    As was stated above at 200w you are only going to be able to run vocals through it, I wouldn't mic a thing.

7. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I'd consider going w/12" mains. They will probably sound better, as well as louder (just in case!).

8. Just vox through 12" speakers it is then. Thanks