1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Paint Stripping

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BUNGA56, Sep 10, 2008.

1. BUNGA56

BUNGA56

Jun 27, 2008
    East Hanover NJ
    I have a 07 Warlock first bass and it has chips all over the coners and i deciced im going to strip the paint and go natural what is the best way to strip it

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It's probably one of the solvent resistant poly finishes. The best way to remove it is with a heat gun and flexible scraper and lots of hand sanding after. Alternately you could just sand it all off. That's even more work. What's the wood look like under the finish? It may be some really ugly mismatched chunks of hardwood that won't lend itself to a natural finish.

But all this has been repeated here regularly. Just be prepared to do some hard work.

I've done it a number of times. I lucked out with my old P because under the ugly factory white finish there was some good looking ash that I was able to finish natural with an oil/varnish blend. But that's rare.

3. BUNGA56

BUNGA56

Jun 27, 2008
    East Hanover NJ
    if the wood looks horible iwill probably repaint it

4. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    that poly is bulletproof, i just tore thru the finish on a Mockingbird bass. Be prepared For A LOT OF sanding and A LOT of Dust.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, a heat gun speeds things up a lot and they're available now for around $30. But with heat you must work outdoors or with very good ventilation. The fumes that poly gives off as it melts are quite noxious.