Palm muted sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DragoshBass, Aug 18, 2013.

1. DragoshBass

DragoshBass

Aug 16, 2013
    Hello everybody.
    I woked up this morning and when i started to practice at my ibby the A the E and B seem to lost all of their sustain and to sound like i would play palm muted .
    What in the world could happen ?

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The strings could be affected by acids or oils from your skin, or even corrosion from humidity, or maybe something in the setup got out of alignment and needs an adjustment.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Dead strings?

4. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional
    if its a P bass, dead top coil?

5. bezbass

bezbass

Aug 19, 2011
    I use 35 to 95 dead strings to gig. Buy them new but don't gig them until they have that classic tone ! I've never had a problem with sustain!

Cant imagine what it might be! Have you checked every single fret to make sure you have full sound everywhere?
    Sometimes eq can be a factor though. For example going the other way....if I do a gig where I need to be bottom heavy or boost the bass right up then the sustain won't stop until I release the note! Maybe there's not enough bottom end on your tone or the right eq?

6. DragoshBass

DragoshBass

Aug 16, 2013
    I have changed the battery and now at the rehearsal i think it sounds ok

7. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    In the most of case when something like that happen, it means your strings are gone.
    This can be the 6070% cause of the problem..
    Cheers. Enrico
    Www.enricogaletta.com

8. bezbass

bezbass

Aug 19, 2011
    I've never had that. I always play my strings on a second bass until they are old before I gig them. Done this since 1999 and have never had a sustain problem! Ever!

9. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Just depend what kind of strings, which company and how often do you change it, plus if you played in a particular humid place or how your hands sweat..
    In my experience, it happened sometimes, not so often fortunately..
    Cheers. Enrico
    www.enricogaletta.com

10. bezbass

bezbass

Aug 19, 2011
    I don't noticeably sweat from my hands and maybe that's a factor. My current set of strings on main bass are rotor sound player elites. Put them on in 2008
    My flat wounds onto fret less I bought in 2001!

Maybe the op needs to buy rotosound? .

I do have a new string bass at the ready too for recording purposes and on my guitars I change strings weekly.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021