1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Palmer PDI-09 - Anyone have any experience with this?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by letsgethandsome, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Hey bass players... So, looking for ways to improve my FOH live sound so I don't have to rely on whatever 30 year old black beat up DI box the sound engineer hands me.

I was looking at a Radial JDI but then have read on TB and other places that with effect pedals and dirt/OD pedals in particular it's a good idea to have a speaker sim as a DI. Makes sense.

I don't really want to buy a Sans Amp or similar to use for a DI (but I will if that's the best option) but I read about this Palmer DI and it seems like an interesting option. Anyone have any experience with these as a bass DI?

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I've used Palmers on guitar with decent results but not for bass. The cabinet simulator just seems to take the harsh edge off the DI sound but doesn't do anything magical.

If your stage sound is solid there are better ways to translate it to FOH:
    • get a decent mic for your cab (Heil PR40, EV RE20, Sennheiser MD421)
    • get a top shelf DI (A-Designs REDDI, Avalon U5, Demeter VTDB, etc)
    • run a Countryman DI between your amp and your cabinet (The Type 85 can handle amp levels up to a ridiculous 1700 watts!)
    • send both a mic and DI signal to FOH

3. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
  4. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!" Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    the two notes torpedo C.A.B. pedal is probably a better solution. I wouldn't discount the ability of some of the new Zoom pedals, like the ms-60B, which has some decent amp models with cabinet emulation and is a steal at $99US. it also has a sans amp bass driver model, and mxr mx80 preamp DI. Both have cab simulation and are pretty good at representing their real world counterparts.

5. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here