1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

parker heads

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by klepto, Apr 20, 2006.

1. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004
    i know that nhop has played some of these melodies and i have heard dave holland playing part of segment on the record 'triplicate,' but are there any lesser known bass players playing any of charlie parker's music?
    i'm trying to find some examples of bass players playing these lines either in unison or alone and hopefully at tempo

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There's a record with NHOP and Archie Shep that they do MOOSE THE MOOCHE. Or am I thinking of the NHOP/Sam Jones record? Well, anyway it's one of those.

But what is your evil purpose? They're fun to play, but I'd rather take my cues for phrasing etc from Bird rather than hearing somebody else's take.

3. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004
    i've just been trying to play some of these tunes... segment, chi chi.. and some others. they're really hard!
    re. my evil puspose: i'm just looking for some inspiration...

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    what could be more inspiring than Charles Christopher Parker?

Don't just read'em out of the Omnibook. Grab the recordings, get some kind of magic slower downer (either a stand alone device or computer program) take those suckers down to half speed and start singing them. Then get so you can sing them at tempo. Once you can sing them to the point that it's just like Bird coming out of your mouth you're going to be hearing the notes clear enough to find them on your instrument.

I know for me, since I started on BG, I learned a bunch of ****ed up one position fingering for a bunch of heads. I've been spending some time going back and working a more elegant approach; easiest fingering for certain phrases with more shifts between positions to get to those fingerings.

5. klepto

klepto Guest

Nov 10, 2004
    yea... bird is quite an inspiration... ....bird at st nicks has got to be one of the baddest records i have ever heard. however... this is not the inspiration which i seek at this time... i'm just trying to find some examples of other bass players playing these heads... if there are any--other than the great dane

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    All I'm saying is YOU be the bass player. I'm playing SCRAPPLE, YARDBIRD SUITE, COOL BLUES, CHERYL, SEGMENT (occasionally) etc. just cause I like'm. Why wait to see what somebody else does?

7. jazzbass72

jazzbass72

Jun 26, 2003
    New York, NY
    The one and only Christian McBride has recorded a CD of Parker's music on Verve when he was 22 or 23 yrs old (trio with pianist Stephen Scott and trumpeter Roy Hargrove). There are a few heads played on bass. You don't want to miss that CD, it changed my life, and I don't see why it couldn't change yours as well :D

-Marco

P.S. Also, check out Dave Ellis's CD called State of Mind, on the Fantasy label. McBride plays the head in unison with Dave (tenor sax) on Barbados, and plays a bass solo that should be a required transcription in every jazz bass college program. That one track is worth the admission ticket price alone. Just my $0.02, as always.

8. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Per All Music Guide that CD also has Peter Washington on it, so it sounds like it's more than worth that ticket. It's also available for download on eMusic here.