1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Partially lined fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Jul 17, 2014.

1. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'm in the market for a fretless but couldn't find too much on this idea through the searches. I'm looking for a fretless that is only partially lined. What I mean by that is like the Ibanez SRF705 you can see it has fret markers but only on the side of the neck (like in the picture in the link http://www.session.de/IBANEZ-SRF705-BBF.html)

Do you guys know of some other recommendations for basses like this? I am looking hard at the Ibanez but I want to explore other options as well. Thanks!

2. atb

atb

Feb 28, 2009
    You should check with a luthier for a price quote, that way you can get whatever bass you want. This Odyssey started out as a fretted bass, and a I had it converted to fretless with the cheater marks. It was done a long time ago with other mods, so I don't have a ball park for you.

IMAG1120_zpspxjvznrj.

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I think Godin and F do this.

lz4005 likes this.
  4. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Zon will do this. My bass has it.
    I think Fbass does it routinely.

5. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    I have a "half-lined" actually lined to the B string only Zon 519 fretless. I'm willing to part with it but prefer to trade for a similar 34" scale Zon fretless.

Personally I think this the way to go with a fretless as you get good markers with all the 'cool' of a fretless line-less board.

Pedulla also offers this option.

6. LukeMan970

LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah I really like the look of an unlined board but would still like a little help when I need it ;) I'm looking to keep my budget under $1,200 really otherwise an F Bass would definitely be on my short list.

I've heard good thing's about Zon's fretless basses but never played one. Are they all 34" scale? I like a 35" scale with 5 strings but would be open if the B string on those Zon's is still solid.

drew_bassmore likes this.
  7. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    The 519 is a 5 string 19mm spacing. Hence 519!

8. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Makes no sense to me... but that's me.

josiah goldfish likes this.
  9. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    How about buying a warmoth unlined neck and putting it on something? I'm not a jazz bass fan but i've always liked the single coil sound with fretless (if I had to suggest a body to match a neck.)

10. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I know that this is outside the OP's budget, but... yummy...

a_A-MVPGAL-SIDELINE-OPTION.

a_A-PENTABUZZ-5A-CSB-NEW.

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    AFAIK most fretless necks that have only the side marker dots have them located right on the note(where the fret would be) as opposed to in between like a standard fretted bass. That may give you enough help if you need it.

12. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    I think that the Godin fretless basses have the lines just at the top edge of the board. godin_a4-ultra_fretless_ss.

josiah goldfish likes this.
  13. BassEnvy78

BassEnvy78

Jun 28, 2012
    What sort of bass do you play right now?
    I played a fretted MM sterling 4H for a while and just bought a fretless after hesitating between:

-Fender JB
    -Warwick thumb
    -godin
    -MM sterling 4H

I ended buying the sterling despite my apprehension due to the fact it's unlined the neck is so familiar the adjustment are minimal and muscle memory took over.

14. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area

If I were ever to spring for an all new bass that would be the one!

And I have both lined Penta & Hexabuzz's....

15. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1

I have a lined Pentabuzz, too, but I sure would like to have that "partially lined" fingerboard. Maybe I'll call Pedulla and ask what it would cost to replace it... hmmm...

16. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Over the years I've had completely blank (no dots) - "mystery board!", lined with dots, lined, side-lined like the Pedulla above and now blank with dots ON (not between) key fret locations, and i have to say this current layout is my favorite. It gives me some physical references where to go but keeps the fingerboard clean and lets me approximate the rest. That being said, I don't play any real solo stuff - pretty much banging out old Police tunes and some Firm ones - so I don't venture up the fingerboard a whole lot. YMMV.

That Pedulla is very, very lovely...... < sigh >

17. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    Pedulla will do that.

For what it's worth and I'm not a huge Ibanez fan but I do like the BTB except for the lower horn length, I played that new SRF 705 Portomento. 5 string and it is a really nice playing bass with the extended fingerboard and piezo bridge. Didn't care so much for the 4-string at all, but the 5 was really nice!

18. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    Luke, you add just shy of 50% more to that budget and a near pristine 519 35" half lined Zon can be all yours. All the fretless you will ever want and more at a very reasonable shipped price (US). If it were 34" like every other bass I own I would not offer this up.

A new one would only run you a minimum $3700 plus tax and shipping. :bassist:

19. drew_bassmore

drew_bassmore Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2000
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I'm kind of into the wider spacing too. Drumsnbass should post a pic of that bass he's got just for posterity's sake. (although, I admit that I may have missed where it's posted in another thread.)

20. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    I've really been having a hard time parting with this one, which is why it is not up in the FS section (yet). However the idea of just sticking to 34" scale basses, and the fact that my fretless addiction now has me at 3 fretless basses of which two are 34's tells me it is time for this to go...

photo1_zps7cad99b6.

Sonus 519

Body
    Material: Two-piece select swamp ash.
    Finish: Flat satin (gloss available at extra charge)
    Color: Natural.

Neck
    Type: Composite, bolt-on design
    Scale length: 35"
    Finish: Flat urethane
    Fingerboard: Phenowood w/side dot markers
    Radius: 12"
    Nut: Graphite
    Frets/size: 22/medium
    Width at nut: 1.875"
    Width at 24th fret: 3.00"

Electronics
    Type: ZB4 active electronics made for Zon by Bartolini.
    Functions: Master volume, pickup blend, midrange and stacked bass/treble controls with 3 position mid frequency switch. Boost/cut +/15dB.
    Power requirements: Single 9-volt battery
    Life expectancy: 2500 hours of continuous use.

Pickup
    Make: Exclusively designed for Zon by Bartolini.
    Type: Neck: medium aperture, passive, linear single coil design. JB style shell.
    Bridge: medium aperture, passive, linear single coil design. JB style shell.

Hardware
    Bridge: ZON. Machined brass.
    String spacing: .750/19mm (string-to-string center)
    Tuners: Gotoh GB-7
    Finish: Chrome

Options
    General: • Fretless -lined, blank or half lined. (no dots on board face). • Bookmatched exotic wood tops • Matching stock • Transparent colors • Solid colors • Black hardware • Hipshot x-tender • Left-handed

Other
    Gig bag included

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014