Patch backup / sharing for Zoom pedals: MS60B, MS70CDR, B1on, B1Xon, B3, G5 etc

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by drdashdot, Apr 30, 2016.

1. I've mentioned this in a few threads hereabouts in the last few months, and it's time for general release.

ZoomLib v1.0.1 is now available for Windows and MacOS.

If you have a Zoom effects pedal with a USB port, you can back up your patches, share them online and keep a HUGE repository of them on your computer, swapping them into and out of your pedal at will.

(Yes - even those pedals with USB that Zoom says is for firmware upgrade only – but, see note below.)

At present, the program works with:
    MS-70CDR, MS-60B, MS-50G,
    G1on, G1Xon,
    B1on, B1Xon,
    G5, G3, G3X & B3 pedals.

It can:
    - back up and restore the entire pedal or individual patches
    - rearrange the order of patches on the pedal
    - upload/download patchfiles to/from a dedicated forum – zoompatches.com/forum – for sharing
    - download patches from similar pedals:
    * G3 and G3X patches can be loaded into either pedal;
    * G1on, G1Xon, B1on and B1Xon patches can be loaded into any of those pedals

The program includes a built-in basic browser so that online patch files can be up or downloaded directly via a drag and drop interface.

You can download it from the downloads section (or via the General Discussion board) of www.zoompatches.com/forum

The program is free.
    That's because ... the world needs this program.
    (Also, to be frank, because I'm developing bigger, better things for Zoom pedals: footswitch, expression pedal, tap tempo, midi control and “scene” control co-ordinated in real-time for multiple pedals. The USB interface can be used to control almost any aspect of any of these pedals. ZoomLib gives a tiny taste of what can be done, so I hope it will whet some appetites.)

While ZoomLib is free, if you wish to contribute, the program will tell you how. (Thanks to those who have or will!) The other way you can help is by clicking on the advertisements (which will be kept to a minimum.) At some point, I'll see if I can make these ads a bit more relevant.

Please enjoy ZoomLib.
    Please also upload your patches! It's easy: just dragging/dropping within the program. (You do have to register and login to upload, but not to download patches.)

(Here is the “note below” referred to above. This program works with the above-mentioned pedals with current Zoom firmware. Note though that any firmware upgrade by Zoom could break this program. (However, at least then we'd have a firmware upgrade!) I expect it could work with other usb equipped pedals such as the G2.1Nu, B9.1ut, G5n etc, and I am happy to add these – I just need the co-operation of a brave pedal owner.)

Cheers
    Dave (drdashdot)

imabuddha, bether, Robertillo and 5 others like this.
  2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Really cool work! Unfortunately I have the one pedal you didn't mention...the MS-100BT. Do you have any plans for working with that?

3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've never really gotten into programming patches into my CDR... I really only use one effect at a time on it in live situations. I really should print that part of the manual out and work on building some patches that I often use on it.

4. That's really nice that you have done this! Being I'm a bit on the computer illiterate side, I'm curious about something. I do have an M60B and let's say I found a patch for a B3 that someone shared but it has different effects than whats available In my M60B. Would it be possible to load that B3 patch or would the M60B not recognize that effect?

5. It's on the list, but not near the top. Would be useful, for sure, but I won't make any promises at this stage.

sillyfabe and Adamixoye like this.
  6. The latter. The patch files are not compatible and would be ignored if you tried to load them.
    If a non-existent effect is specified, the Zoom pedals label it as "Missing" and the effect is bypassed, from what I've seen. (This happens quite often when loading G1 patches into a B1, for example.)

Having said that, I think the MS60B includes almost all of the B3 effects (happy to be corrected...) It should be possible to convert a B3 patch into an MS60B patch automatically. Fair effort required for that though.

1stnamebassist likes this.
  7. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    No, the B3 has more effects than the M60 has.

Otherwise, thanks for doing this. I will definitely check it out.

8. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Well I would encourage you to get to it at some point. :) But either way this is really cool.

9. Jagbassqc

Jagbassqc

May 4, 2016
    Thanks for this great software, is there a way to convert the B3 files to use with a B1on ? I think the B3 files are xml but I have no idea for the B1on files.

10. There probably is, but not with this software.
    Edit & Share uses xml files for patches, but ZoomLib uses a sysex message in binary format. That message varies with each pedal, and the program would need to analyse the message in detail and then be able to rebuild it to do what you ask. That would need quite an effort.

I haven't checked, but wonder: does the B1on include all B3 effects?

11. Jagbassqc

Jagbassqc

May 4, 2016
    B3 = 111 effects
    B1on = 100 effects
    B1xon = 105 effects
    Same hardware

12. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    How about the B2.1u? I've got in a box somewhere that I haven't used much, but being able to download patches might make me dust it off.

13. There probably is, but not with this software.
    Edit & Share uses xml files for patches, but ZoomLib uses a sysex message in binary format. That message varies with each pedal, and the program would need to analyse the message in detail and then be able to rebuild it to do what you ask. That would need quite an effort.

I haven't checked, but wonder: does the B1on include all B3 effects?
    Thanks. So there wouldn't always be a direct correspondence - some substitution strategy would be needed.

14. I suspect the B2.1u could be included.
    The G2.1u talks to Edit & Share - does the B2.1u?

If you'd like to try, I can send you a program which would try to talk to the pedal - send me a PM if you'd be up for that.

(Same goes for anyone with a G2.1u or any other Zoom pedal with a USB port.)

Cheers
    Dave

15. enzodm

enzodm

Mar 3, 2016
    Italy
    Thanks! Good piece of software, and best wishes for the rest of the work.
    I quickly looked at the binary data but there is not obvious interpretation.

16. Thanks - I hope it's useful. Feel free to click on an advertisement from time to time!

You're right about the binary data - it's all over the place, and it varies between pedal models. The exception is the patch name which is pretty obvious. I might try to add a patch renaming function in the next revision.

17. enzodm

enzodm

Mar 3, 2016
    Italy
    I only have a B1Xon so I do not know how it differs from others, however in this one the patch name is obvious except for a 00 byte after the first 4 characters (it is always there, so no issue).
    Other things: first byte of each chunk is always F0, last is always F7, 3 byte after the first identify the model (in my case: 52 00 66), then there is the patch number at the eighth byte (not aggregated in banks, just 00-63).
    I only vaguely know MIDI, so I do not know how integer/ positives-negatives/ real / binary values are normally stored. However, being a sysex, likely Zoom can do what it wants...

18. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Is there enough info from the protocol to be able to edit an entire patch on the PC?

the 60B is better than a lot of pedals when it comes to the interface, it does a pretty good job, but having more screen to do stuff would be nice. Just wondering if that is possible some day.

Thanks for this, great free way to save all my patches.

19. mrufino1

mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    @drdashdot Whoah, I just discovered this program, thanks so much!! I had a b1on that bit the dust, threw it out months ago. Just got an ms60b and was hesitant to put too much stock into programming it in case it broke since the zoom software only works with the b3. But now with this, awesome! If I find one cheap again in the future I will buy it as a backup. Very cool, thanks for you work!

20. You're very welcome!