Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pattitucci recordings??

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Da_Niet, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    Ok, all, I'm new to the Pattitucci bass playing thing. I am admittedly biased to Jaco, Paul Jack-son, and a few others that I can't recall at the moment. Anyways, for someone who is curious about all the news about Mr. John Pattitucci, what CDs would you recommend me to check out of his that isn't too over the top in technical feats(I'm familiar with Wooten and Manring), and is more about just good straight ahead jazz done on an electric(not acoustic) bass?

2. I loved his work with Robben Ford. I also enjoy "Heart of the Bass'......... hope this helps.

[​IMG]

;) Treena

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You mentioned electric playing, right?
    Most of Patitucci's solo deiscs are a mixed bag of electric & acoustic basses.

That said-
    I like Patitucci's debut & Sketchbook(both probably OOP).
    Chick Corea's Elektic Band's albums may have more(solely) 'electric' bass happenin'.

Patitucci has also played on various GRP/the-label mates projects like Eric Marienthal's solo almums(saxophone with the Elektic Band)...if possible, look for Crossroads from 1990 & Round Trip from 1989...tunes like "Round Trip", "Moonwalk", & "Crash Test Dummies" are nicely played grooves in an '90s electric Jazz vibe.

If you like Jaco & Paul Jackson-
    Don't forget about Tribal Tech(Face First, Rocket Science, etc) + Gary Willis' solo albums(No Sweat & Bent).

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Treena-
    Refresh my memory...Robben Ford & JP? Where?

5. You actually couldn't go wrong starting with John Patitucci's self titles recording from about 1987.
    His composing contained much and many of Chick Corea's influence.
    John had previously been in various Electrik and Acoustik bands with Chick from the early 80's.
    The last recording I have from John is 2001's 'Communion'.
    John has been playing more and more upright in recent years, hw is uniquely smotth in employing either the German or French bowing styles.
    I've had the good fortune to see him live at least Three times.
    (1)Electrik band, early 90's right after Miles Davis died...they did a tribute tune at a rather crowded Cubby bear in Chicago.
    (2)-(3)Miles Davis/John Coltrane tribute with Danilo Perez, Brian Blades, Roy Hargrove and one of the Brecker Brothers....Wayne Shorter group with Brian Blades, Danilo Perez.
    I'm torn between equally admiring both J.P.'s electric and upright work, his composing has gotten both more intricate, and unique up to this point.
    I lean more to various Latin styles of music, J.P.'s writing in many recent years had tended to in this way.

Later..Enjoy..LenG

'Communion' would be a choice of the many available recordings.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I enjoy Heart of the Bass very much; John's compositional skills shine in the short string arrangements.

7. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    fretlessb1 wrote:

I've had the good fortune to see him live at least Three times.
    (1)Electrik band, early 90's right after Miles Davis died...they did a tribute tune at a rather crowded Cubby bear in Chicago.
    (2)-(3)Miles Davis/John Coltrane tribute with Danilo Perez, Brian Blades, Roy Hargrove and one of the Brecker Brothers....Wayne Shorter group with Brian Blades, Danilo Perez

Wow! You are most fortunate to have seen him such esteemed guests. Damn! Danilo Perez, my fellow Panamanian, is an awesome pianist! Wayne Shorter, Brecker Bros., Blades(another Panamanian)......damn, lucky you.

Yeah, as for me, I'd say I'm still very new and in my formative stage in serious bass playing. As I said before, I'm heavily entrenched in Jaco, and I've even picked up some subtle(well, maybe not-so-subtle) nuances with time, along with a few other greats. But, John Pattitucci is one that I know is great, yet I haven't really clicked onto so far. I've heard recordings with him on it, especially from the mid 80's to 90's backing up others, but......I don't know. He doesn't blow me away. So, I will check out his solo stuff that people have recommended and decide from there.

8. 'Yeah, as for me, I'd say I'm still very new and in my formative stage in serious bass playing. As I said before, I'm heavily entrenched in Jaco, and I've even picked up some subtle(well, maybe not-so-subtle) nuances with time, along with a few other greats. But, John Pattitucci is one that I know is great, yet I haven't really clicked onto so far. I've heard recordings with him on it, especially from the mid 80's to 90's backing up others, but......I don't know. He doesn't blow me away. So, I will check out his solo stuff that people have recommended and decide from there.'

John Patitucci's 6-string prowess initially was among the ifew influences to play 5-6 strings basses a number of years back.
    He's a really terrific upright player, so many different facets to both his individual playing and writing skills that keep me buying and listening. Plus, what a cool, soft-spoken guy.
    He's played with many great musicians, both on his own recordings, and guest spots.
    Out of the Original Electrik band musicians, I've followed both John Patitucci and drummer Dave Weckl the most..outside of Chick Corea that is.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have this video from the Jacksonville jazz festival(was on PBS a few years back). On this tape are The Rippingtons, Arturo Sandoval, The Flecktones, & Corea's Elektric Band.
    Anyway, I play the tape for some friends(some non-musiciams + a couple casual musicians)...all were floored by Wooten(his 5+ minutes of "Sinister Minister" while spinning the bass around his neck was impressive). ;)
    None, repeat none, were that impressed with Patitucci's playing(I recall someone saying "Boring")...maybe it's cause both of the Corea tunes on the tape didn't 'feature' a bass solo, I dunno. Then again, these people are idiots.

My point is this-
    Don't expect the 'flash' of Wooten or Jaco when checking out Patitucci...who can easliy shift gears between the Jazz, Latin, Funk, Rock, & R&B crowds.
    It doesn't get much better than Shorter's current band-
    Patitucci, Perez, & Blades. Footprints LIVE! is a keeper!
    ;)

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I like Sketchbook a lot, but I think Jim's right and that it's probably out of print. Still, look around and see if you can find a used copy. I also like Another World, which is more African-influenced and has Armand Sabal-Lecco playing along with John on a couple of cuts. The one called Now is pretty good too--has him playing Giant Steps on electric.

As several have noted, besides being a monster, John is really a nice, unassuming guy. Always a plus, and never something to be taken for granted.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Just one of those things, I guess. Personal taste. Me, I respect Wooten very much in several ways, but I've never felt like going to see him or buying any of his recordings. Just doesn't interest me all that much. I would pay, however--and have paid--to hear Patitucci. He's a strong and complete musician. I'm not saying Wooten isn't, or knocking him in any way, I just would rather listen to Patitucci, given the choice.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Why just electric? Johns skill on the acoustic is second to none and IMO his electric stuff is secondary on his musical palette. Check out Now (w/John Scofield) and Communion. For acoustic stuff that is... :)

13. KENNY PORE Sessions Volume One

4. INNER CITY DREAMS 4:33 (VOCALS)
    (KENNY PORE © 1983 TENGOKU BMI)
    Rick Riso: Vocals
    Pat Coil: Keyboards
    Robben Ford: Electric Guitar
    John Patitucci: Bass
    Vinnie Colaiuta: Drums
    Kenny Pore: Nylon String Acoustic Guitar (on vamp)
    Recorded and Mixed by Wally Grant at
    Weddington Studio, North Hollywood, CA, 1983

[​IMG]

14. Robben Ford and John Patitucci Session Work

John started out doing session work .
    His playing credits include Tom Scott, Robben Ford, Stan Getz, Larry Carlton, Dave Grusin, Ernie Watts, Freddie Hubbard and others—in addition to Yamaha artist Chick Corea—with whom he was a regular member of both the "Elektric" and "Akoustic" bands. His solo albums include Now (1998), Imprint (2000) and Communion (2001).

[​IMG]

Ricky Peterson

15. I thought Brian BLADE was from Shreveport, LA and spent a bunch of time in New Orleans???

And Treena, you're not telling me that's Robben Ford in the center of that picture??? He still has hair (at least he did last time I saw him @ the SF Blues Fest last year)

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think Brian Blade got confused with Ruben Blades here.

17. Heck No, Robben has tons of hair!

I've done session work with Robben, he's really sweet!

Get this Album.
    [​IMG]

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I don't see Ford in that picture.
    Anyway, thanks, Tree...I've been a Robben Ford fan since the Charles Ford/Musslewhite era. When Ford joined Tom Scott's LA Express, it blew me away. Tom Cat has some very nice jammin' by Ford in a not-so Blues-oriented setting.

I just couldn't recall one album where Ford & Patitucci played together. Kenny Pore, huh? What's that...a local/regional release?

19. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    My favorite electric Pattitucci recordings are "Chick Corea Electrik Band," "Inside Out" (same group), and his self-titled solo disc on GRP. Dunno where you can find the last one though; it's out of print.

20. Well said, John Patitucci may not very well be into the 'Musical Acrobatics', and he largely is a stoic figure...his playing does all of the talking.
    Solid Guy....holds it down, and has quite tasteful solo's.
    I equally admire both is Electric and Upright work.
    I agree that 'Footprints-Live' was a good recording..did you check out 'Allegria' yet?
    I very well may have butchered the title...good stuff either way.

LenG