Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paul Gray

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey, anyone like Slipknot? Their bassist isn't the best ever but he does his job, but I have a few questions, like why does he use 4 strings tuned ultra low instead of using a 5 string?

2. not sure about the 4 string, but he plays sum really wicked bass in the real early slipknot songs b4 there 1st album. theres a bit of slapping.

3. I heard about this awesome bass playing in their first album (MFKR?) but never heard any of it. I sure wana hear it though. I saw on the disasterpieces DVD that during Wait And Bleed he was playing with all 4 fingers, and it's pretty damn fast.

4. i've only heard a little bit of it.I was surprised by what i was hearing.

5. Ahh, before they got signed SLipknot were a proper metal band, they could all play their insturments really well....some of it is making a come back on Volume 3.....

6. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    Check out "Do Nothing (Bitchslap)" by Slipknot.

Its like death metal / Funk fusion. Haha. And yes there is slapping.

7. I have heard about it...in fact I was downloading it off Tyler Hole's site, but I got disconnected and didn't get another link back to the site....

8. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Yeah do nothing bitchslap that is jazz/metal, hahaha classic stuff, you would never of thought it would be slipknot, and pauls got a little bass interlude slapping bit on it, very impressive, those were back in the days when he used his carvin, haha

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Mate, Feed, Kill, Repeat is good. Paul shows off his slapping, tapping, and grooving skills. The next CD, and the 2 following it, showcases Paul being heavy, repetitive, and ultimately making more money.

10. Carvin? Are they good?(sorry but i've heard of them but never known much about them).....I thought he also used a Jackson bass too? Now he uses the best....WARWICK! :D I never knew he could play like that until I heard Do Nothing/ Bitchslap

11. I think Slipknot should lose their stupid masks and fire half their personnel.

12. Shows how much you know about SlipKnot and why certain things are why they are... :rolleyes: :rollno:

13. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    Yes, its a shame that its becoming less and less about the music these days.

14. did you ever think that maybe ombudsman doesn't care and this isn't an "i love slipknot" appreciation site????

oh wait that's right you don't give a rats a$$ about what anybody else has to say around here. i forgot.... :spit:

15. Their masks are there as part of an extension of their personalities......they made them each eprsonally, hence the changs over time and the modifications. They are desgined to be scarey, yes, and shocking, but there is a reason for it, as stated above.

16. don't you mean as extensions to their wallets?? It's an act, not a "personality" .... :rollno:

17. Some people might be turned off by a bunch of clowns drumming on empty beer kegs. That's sad actually, because I think their music is not that bad. To call them "the heaviest band on the planet" is far-fetched, though.

Edit: Oh yeah, and I also made masks as an "extension of my personality". When I was seven years old, if I recall correctly.

18. O come off it, people say some bands are heavier than Slipknot and Slipknot pee on them from a height in terms of heaviness! Then again, I have a strange idea of what is heavy.....i just think Slipknot are uber heavy.

19. So Obituary played elevator music? Sepultura is your idea of "classic rock"? Death was nothing but a couple guys trying to find themselves?? Cannibal Corpse is pop?? ummm yeah. sometimes it's ok to NOT listen to what's on the radio and MTV.

20. Did you know Obituary are making a comeback and recording new stuff? I heard it's gonna be new age/smooth jazz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.