Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

paul mccartney on 'ebony and ivory'

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by steviecsg, Apr 23, 2004.

1. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    im sure all of you have heard the duet by stevie wonder and paul mccartney 'ebony and ivory'

i assume that it's mccartney on bass? was it a wal or rickenbacker? tone is really bright and ballsy

2. I honestly think he was playing Yamaha at that time... :eek:

3. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002

oh! a yamaha? which model?

4. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    wow i didnt know that..thanks for the info!

no wonder the BBs of the 80s were held in such high regard by recording artists. great tone!

5. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    Though I never was a huge McCartney (I'm a Stevie wonder fan though), I must admit that his playing on this tune is superb!

6. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    ahh, now see, I'm a huge McCartney fan, and a pretty big Stevie fan and I'm pretty sure that was a really cheesy song. I can think of a bazillion other tunes to talk about before that one.

7. I'm a huge fan too, but you gotta admit the entire album TUG OF WAR is recorded very well. George Martin engineered/produced this album.

BallRoom Dancing, is my favorite track!
    [​IMG]
    Treena

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agreed.
    George Martin is the man!

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree 100%.
    The only good thing about that tune was the SNL parody by Piscopo & Murphy.
    ...just one man's opinion.

10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The SNL parody is absolutely brilliant!

I loved Paul's bass sound with that 5 string WAL. Listening to "Flowers in the Dirt" and "Off the Ground" is a major bass pleasure for me.