1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

PAUL STANLEY'S STRANGE FENDER PRECISION BASS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by REMBO, Mar 29, 2020.

1. REMBO

REMBO

Jul 26, 2011
    Connecticut
    Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 2.20.47 PM.png I just saw Paul Stanley's new video on youtube and in the corner is a strange Fender P Bass that looks like a Telecaster Bass with a rosewood neck!! The headstock also looks like its Black with a Fender Logo!! The body could be a 60's or early 70's with the thumb rest on the treble side!! ...Any Thoughts??
    Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 2.20.47 PM.png

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  2. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I think you mean a P bass with a Tele neck.
    Judging from the "relic" job I think it's a parts bass.
    Did they ever even offer matching head stocks on a Tele bass?

InhumanResource, Yonni and bobyoung53 like this.
  3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Maybe it's a custom shop job.

I've modded P and J bass style headstocks to a Telecaster style. It's not difficult.

4. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Thread escalates quickly.

I can't tell what the Bass is, I haven't seen a Tele like that.
    Whoever said Parts or Bitsa or Custom is probably correct

5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'm an idiot. I thought you were joking about the guitar he's playing.

6. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    No matter what anyone may think of Kiss, the fact is, they played the game, and they won. :thumbsup:

As for the P bass over in the corner in that pic, I don't recognize it as a factory bass, so perhaps it is a parts bass. I really don't know!

7. levis76

levis76 Defender of the Low Ender

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    A2C74948-AED0-482A-A57A-D7BA1EF8C885.gif

8. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    No idea, but the black, tort, and Chrome looks fantastic!

Almost as nice as black, black, and maple.... But not quite.

9. They both got more chicks than Geddy Lee. Therefore, they are better bass players.

10. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Is that a smoke machine next to the floor monitor? :)

bobba66, REMBO, Low84 and 1 other person like this.
  11. I learned a long time ago to give up trying to figure out what this or that famous musician had in the trunk. They get fronted all kinds of stuff that you and me will never see, one-offs, parts axes the roadies put together, failed signature model prototypes, and on and on. 'One-Offs of the Famous' would make a hell of a book.

When I worked at Gibson, they cleaned out the closets of one-offs, what-ifs, prototypes, in some cases drop-dead gorgeous things that would have sold like crazy . . . . . and put them in coffin cases, and air-freighted them to a big store in Japan where they sold for better-bring-a-forklift amounts of cash. There's whole world of axes most of us never know about. I once saw a half-dozen gold-top Les Paul Triumph basses with gold hardware. . . . . never saw them again.

12. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    I like his music room. Appropriate amounts of gear tucked away in case people come around and a view. Very civilised. Also appears to be about 2/3s the size of our house :)

13. Looks like a Fender badge on the headstock, maybe Fender authorized, maybe not, but I'll go with parts and pieces, built from what, and by whom, is anyone's guess unless you happen to get stuck in an elevator with Mr. Stanley and ask him.

I'm guessing that's a split P under the pickup cover and it sounds very much like a typical P Bass.

I also agree that gear falls from the sky like manna from heaven into the laps of people like Paul all the time.

dkelley and REMBO like this.
  14. Looks more like a stage light.

PaulCISSA, Bassdirty and eldoryder like this.
  15. Looks like a Greco TB-400 to me.

HaphAsSard and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  16. I'd venture to say it's a Fender Custom Shop instrument.

tindrum, shadven and Rezdog like this.
  17. Looks like it might be … perfect if it is! :D

On closer look it seems to say "stage light" on the stickers.

18. Pocket4

Pocket4 Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2013
    New Hampshire
    A lot more taste than the band maybe. I haven't seen that headstock before and I like.

19. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    I have one exactly like it. I think it's a '56. (just kidding). ;)

imabuddha likes this.
  20. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    I imagine it’s Fender CS. Sean Hurley plays Fender CS basses with Paul when he does his solo band Soul Station. It’s not a stretch to postulate that Paul got a chance to try out one of Hurley’s basses, decided he liked it, and maybe picked one up for himself to play for song demos. He’s liked the Tele headstock and a P/J setup on basses he had in the past. He played this one on “Tears are Falling”.

AA4AB21F-E000-44A1-A04C-E4D7C14126B8.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
    DrMole, Skip, sgtpepper and 8 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021