Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Paulin EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by ToneRanger, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Obviously good strings will make a big difference. On the one I tried the bridge collapsed, so that would be my next upgrade after the strings.

I thought the endpin and shoulder hardware were pretty junky - I'd be trying to upgrade that as well.

And the preamp was noisy - if you're planning to use any sort of external preamp, try bypassing the internal one - or replace it with one of fdeck's little DIY circuits.

Apart from that I think they're a fairly good cheap bass - the basic woodwork seems OK. I would have bought one except that in Australia they're not cheap (I paid the same price for a nice hand-made one from Bill Paulin - www.fittell.id.au/eub).

2. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    That looks really nice. How are you finding it?

3. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Wow!
    That Paulin EUB looks great!
    Too bad he's located in Australia as I'll never see one here in Canada!
    :)

4. I'm very happy with the bass. Lovely woods and it has a better tone than most amplified URB's I've tried.
    Bill is happy to ship them. The neck is bolt on so it's no big deal to break it down to a compact package. His current price is $1500 Australian ($1130 US), or if you're happy to add your own strings, tuners, pickup etc he'll do a 'woodwork only' version for $800 AU($600 US).

(Sorry to divert the Palatino thread, but I do like talking about this bass!)

5. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I'm making it a standalone thread right now!

6. Just saw this thread... very nice EUB there, I had not known about Paulin before, I live in Melbourne.

Is there anything you could add about the EUB? I might look into purchasing one of these. Is your bass custom-made on order or did he have a few available for sale? If custom-made, how long did you have to wait?

What do you have your Paulin EUB plugged into?

7. I met Bill Paulin via a fiddle-player friend who had one of his electric violins. Bill had made a larger semi-acoustic EUB, but I wanted something simpler and more compact so we worked together on this design.
    So mine is the prototype, but Bill is keen to make more. Basses are custom order and he doesn't normally carry stock, although he was talking about making up a couple more last time we spoke. You'd need to contact him about waiting time - it would depend on how busy his workshop was.

I play mine through an Eden WT330/210XST - a fairly neutral sounding rig with very extended (but not boomy) low end that makes this bass sound phat.

8. That's great, that was his first EUB then? I thought that was his signature/standard EUB shape. Maybe I'll shoot him an email.

9. hey ToneRanger - got another question, do you have any soundclips of your EUB? Thanks.

10. OK, but this could be embarrassing. The only recordings I have of the Paulin EUB are here:
    http://www.daveandrews.com.au/songs.html

Disclaimer: This recording was done the day I received the bass when I went to help a songwriter friend record some dodgy demos in a church basement. I was going to help with tech stuff but the bass player didn't show so I got out the Paulin and learnt and recorded 11 songs in 3 hours. Sorry about the sloppy playing and rough live mix - we'll do the songs properly one day soon.
    Recording was from the DI of my Eden WT330 (no eq) into ProTools on a laptop (again no eq).

11. Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know I made my first deposit to Bill Paulin last week. Bill has already started making the EUB and he's sent me photos of the wood blocks showing the inner chambers carved out. It should be complete in about 5 weeks. With the completion of payment and then shipment time, the complete EUB should arrive at my doorstep in about 7 weeks.

Can't wait!!

Thanks to ToneRanger for putting me on to Bill.

12. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    What a beautiful bass! Not a fancy design by any means, but the wood choices really make it stand out. I've emailed Bill Paulin to get the shipping dimensions to figure out how much it would cost to get one to Toronto. If it's half reasonable, I'm seriously considering getting him to make one for me.

ToneRanger: How do you transport the bass? Do you break it down and if you do, can you leave the strings on?

13. Currently mine travels rolled up in a sleeping bag, but I'll be getting a more robust canvas & foam case made for it soon.
    For international shipping, Bill would remove the neck & strings to get it down to a reasonable size package (much cheaper). The neck is bolt-on and a well-fitted neck joint makes sure it lines up properly.

14. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I got an email from Bill last night, and he included some photos and info about some refinements he's made to the design. Briefly, they are:

The neck angle has changed to raise the bridge 25mm. He'll be offering Maple and Beech bodies and necks, as well as the Blackwood that ToneRanger has, and he's using Aussie Cedar for the tops. The body is now fully hollow (two chambers previously), and the big news, he's moved the pickup to the underside of the top, wedged in place by a soundpost.

My 40th birthday is coming up, and I think I know what I'll be getting for me!:hyper:

15. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Simply put: WOW!
    :cool:

P.S. If you order one, I'd be interested (PM me) to know how much it'd cost you, since I'm in Canada too. (Quebec)
    If you don't mind, of course!

16. Looks like Bill is racking up some decent business from TB members!

ToneRanger - Bill was saying that his wife is designing a case/gig bag for the EUB. He was going to get back to me about the price and will be open for me to purchase when if I was interested.

17. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    PM sent.

18. Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I know Bill personally - we jam together every couple of weeks. He plays Bass and I play Mandolin and Fiddle. I have seen the development of Bill's EUB's from their infancy and I must say I am really impressed by his latest Prototype. It looks top class and has the sound to match. Bill is a fine craftsman who also happens to be a perfectionist. No financial interest here - just stating the facts.