1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pay To Audition?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MrBassman17, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    It might be that they just always split the fee, and it just hasn't occurred to them that this counts as a special case. Things that are, in retrospect, entirely obvious don't always occur to me, which is why I keep notes and templates, although I need to go and reorganise them.*

* Again on the digression, text-based formats that you can turn into pretty documents and revision control systems are your friend. One of the reasons I like QLCPlus as a DMX lighting control system is the format for saved shows is just an XML text document, so I can do a nice delta of versions if required and it's semi-readable.

I'll start a thread...

Mr_Moo likes this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    There is a big difference between an audition and a "well you are in the band, assuming we have a band". Which is it?

MrBassman17 likes this.
  3. sqlb3rn

sqlb3rn

Apr 6, 2016
    SE US
    I wouldn't have even lasted through several weeks of texting back and forth. If they charged me money to audition I would pass, I ain't even in the band. They can pay it all themselves and not have a bass player, or they can pay it all themselves and have a bass player come audition, their choice.

4. sqlb3rn

sqlb3rn

Apr 6, 2016
    SE US
    I wouldn't have even lasted through several weeks of texting back and forth. If they charged me money to audition I would pass, I ain't even in the band. They can pay it all themselves and not have a bass player, or they can pay it all themselves and have a bass player come audition, their choice.

5. MrBassman17

MrBassman17 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    Exactly

6. MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    If the guy had said that up front, I wouldn't be posting this thread! Would have been a non-starter!

7. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Let's say you are applying for job in location 200 miles from your house, say 300. Are you willing to drive the distance meals, and a motel? Say the job pays high 5 figures will you do it? Assuming you long form, you can take mileage, half the meals, the motel off reducing your taxable income.
    Does this change your thinking about fronting 12 bucks. If you are getting 1099ed and filing sch c and sch se, it's a deductible cost.
    Yeah, the world of getting jobs and gigs has changed.

TheBear likes this.
  8. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    At least it was mentioned upfront. One band I auditioned for, the BL told me after I was in that monthly rental fees would be X per person. Fair enough.

After the second gig, when i inquired about my cut, he told me all proceeds go to the band fund.bsince this was a cover band with "wedding party" ambitions, I decided to bail a while later. Mr BL was definitely pocketing his share...

I learned to ask certain questions upfront, and to not take things for granted.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  9. For me, that wouldn't change things in the least. The two situations aren't comparable. The example you give is of a real job with a real salary. That's nothing like the situation described by the OP. Leaving aside the fact that in most places it's hard enough getting decent pay for a band, even a skilled and professional one, this "band" doesn't even exist yet!

Bass Viking and gln1955 like this.
  10. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Your example would work better if it were a job across town that was doing interviews in a hotel conference room and wanted you to chip in for it.
    We both know how absurd that would be.

Mr_Moo, buldog5151bass and dave64o like this.
  11. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    And if the job was paying minimum wage.

Mr_Moo and MordBass like this.
  12. And if it it didn't actually exist yet.

Mr_Moo and MordBass like this.
  13. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Correct..... lol. So heres where we're at with the adjusted example....
    A guy took an add out on craigslist looking for an employee....for a job that doesnt pay yet.... for a company he is hoping to start. The interview will be held at the HolidayInn Express... please bring $20 for your share of the room.

cdavisshannon, Mr_Moo and TheBear like this.
  14. So, it's now early Tuesday morning.
    How did it go?
    Russ

3Liter likes this.
  15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm late to the party, but want to see how things went.

If I were early to the party, I'd have said something like... Hmmm....

My instinct says NOOOOO, but if the opportunity sounded good enough and the $12 wasn't going to break my bank, I'd be open minded about it.

I WOULD however ask if others were auditioning. If so, then there'd be no way I'd pay. If it were just a few people getting together to see if things would work I might be willing. I'd have my eyes and ears very wide open at the audition though. The right thing to do is pay for the audition. Person putting it together is starting off on the wrong foot, but might have good reason. He might honestly not have the money (which could pose a problem in the future), or he could be testing people's commitment and willingness (still not a good reason IMO).

Whatever. YOLO. It's not that big a deal.

Hope it worked out great and your new band is a huge success :)!

TheBear and Stumbo like this.
  16. If the person holding the audition lacks money they should ask potential candidates to submit/post a video of their playing. That will help narrow the choices and will show the candidate’s seriousness better than any $12 fee.

17. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Very true. One of my last bands did that and it was amazing how many people we said no to within 20 seconds of their video. Would have been a massive waste of time to have had them out.

Bass Viking likes this.
  18. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I'm pretty sure this is the part of the story where they say "and his body was never found" :nailbiting:.

Mr_Moo and buldog5151bass like this.
  19. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008

20. MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    Final update : this start up country band couldn't get a drummer or 2nd guitar, so, considering the commute time; frequency of rehearsals and, of course, the $10 to rent studio time, I decided to pull out! No feelings hurt; 'modern country' really isn't my thing!

Mr_Moo, Duder, mikeyjm2 and 1 other person like this.