1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pay To Audition?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MrBassman17, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i wasn't actually making a point - just saying i've run into this situation a couple times.

sometimes being that inexperienced can be a red flag of its own unless someone mentors the guy or takes over BL duties, and not everyone wants to do that.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  2. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017

Poach the other 2 drummers, and start an Adam and The Ants tribute band.

Be sure to thank the BL as you leave, for making it so cost effective for you to audition your new drummers.

Mr_Moo, LBS-bass and Pug the Pig like this.
  3. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Or neighbours that would tolerate the noise, without contacting the authorities, or taking matters into their own hands.

honeyiscool likes this.
  4. Lava

Lava

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    I would remind them of your "audition fee"....;)

mikewalker and sears like this.
  5. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    Sure, but if you're serious about a professional career in music, you live in one of a handful of major cities, and $200K would barely buy you a 1 bedroom apartment, with separate kitchen, and lounge.

Not everyone wants to make music their career, or they have other life considerations, which means they can / need to live in the suburbs (where your $200K goes a lot further - maybe even a basement, or a garage) - even then, the vast majority of musicians that I know / work with, rent a few hours time in a rehearsal studio, once, or twice a week (and work on songs - unplugged - at home). The family, and neighbours just wouldn't tolerate the noise, or the smell.

Must be amazing to have enough space between properties, to be able to have regular band practices, without disturbing anyone - but the downside is that it's even harder to find likeminded / talented musicians, the more remote you are.

Mr_Moo, BuffaloBill and mikewalker like this.
  6. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Its only $12 but at the same time... asking somebody that isnt in the band yet to help finance their search for a bass player really does set a precedent that I wouldnt want to take part in.

Mr_Moo and Bass Viking like this.
  7. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

No

8. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    People aren't always organised.

9. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    It's not necessarily a bad precedent. It may be that the band is very cooperative and believes in sharing, and doesn't even register that someone auditioning shouldn't be part of that. I am not saying it is right to charge someone, just that there are a number of possible thought processes that could lead to the charge, and not all are necessarily indicative of something negative.

10. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    If I was auditioning a member as a replacement, or to fill the last spot in a band, then I'd not expect that person to audition. If I got a number of people together to see if a band were possible, given the assembled members, then even if I was organising it, I would potentially float the idea of splitting the cost. If the nature of the band was definitely one of a relatively autocratic band leader, plus hired guns, though, I'd expect the band leader to pay for all rehearsals, and consider that to be a business expense.

MrBassman17 likes this.
  11. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    True... there is a tiny chance that it skipped the mind of all other members simultaneously that its not the responsibility of prospective bandmates to front the cost of their own auditio while they were being sure to mention to him that he'll be expected to chip in.

12. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Tell him you do session work at 29.95 an hour, so since it is a studio he can knock the 12 bucks off your fee.

...so you will need 17.95 up front :cool:

13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Incompetence is a perfectly reasonable explanation for many things. I try to not only remember things, but record them, to avoid issues (dull stuff like gig checklists and requirement lists, so the right questions are asked about the venue, and dull stuff like health and safety templates, as some venues require them*), but they might be new.

* Thinking about it, those might be useful resources in the Live Music forum as stickies, customised for major nations, maybe. They require customisation for every band, of course.

MordBass likes this.
  14. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Very fair point about incompetence. Verrrrrry fair

15. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    As I posted earlier, this an interesting thread. Got me thinking, about equipment, jam and practice/audition space.
    Our senior meal site has a six channel powered mixer and a couple of speakers.
    We need to justify grant requests for more equipment, like mikes stands, money to copy share music, a 5 piece drum kit, and keyboard. The house band will prepare a proposal to have a monthly jam session open to the dad's, the moms and grands where the jammers bring their instruments their cables and extra copies of the music to share. Some of the threads on tb will provide direction for the jam.
    No, we probably won't charge audition fees but coffee and bottled water will have charges.

16. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    I will pay a $12 Monkey House admission charge when they pay me $0.50/mile, a $100 mobilization fee and $25 for every non std arragement.

Sorry ass munnyfunsters.

Dont let these bed bugs get traction.

mikewalker likes this.
  17. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    this needs to be sticky'ed at the top of the site somewhere :)

IamGroot and Wood and Wire like this.
  18. MrBassman17

MrBassman17 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    I think this is the case. Obviously, I will know definitively Sunday, but this is the first meeting of prospective band members to see how it all fits together.

19. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Don't some the hamburger joints offer coolers of drinks to non-profits?

20. I haven't read this whole thread, but we had a drummer come to audition for our cover band recently. We went to pay for the time at the rehearsal room and he said "I've had such an awesome time tonight I insist on paying my share" and that was it. I did try and insist, but how can you stop a man who's enjoying himself that much!!

On reflection, I think he didn't see it as an audition as much as he just saw it as the day he joined the band, and he was good so we weren't going to argue with him!