1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pay To Audition?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MrBassman17, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I've been trying to put a modern country thing together for a couple few years - impossible to find a lead player willing to play it :( . Too bad, you can make decent dollars and gig just about as much as you want around here with that. Classic rock/blooze bands are a dime a dozen, scraping for crappy gigs :( .

MrBassman17 likes this.
  2. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Uhhhhhh? Well I remember renting a room and packing in all the auditions we could while we had the room. Never even thought to ask anyone to help pay for it but maybe that is part of the audition in your case. With the number of dead beats you meet while playing in bands maybe the guy is a genius?

3. This sounds like being invited to a birthday party and being asked to chip and cover the costs... That is the new norm with the GenXers. It is bad form.

lfmn16 likes this.
  4. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    Gen X runs with birth years from early 60’s to the 80’s. When we’re tou born?

5. GilbouFR

GilbouFR

Dec 1, 2017
    It's a low amount and either they keep you or not, you will be in a studio that has amps and hardware, anything you need to play properly and this has a cost. If share is equal it's fair and it's musicians playing together. If you get a good time, and they do too, well, it starts there. That money goes to the studio for the service offered. Now, they could invite you and you would not pay a thing of course, and in the end, you make your own decision. I would pay for the service from the studio to help me play in the best conditions possible.

Some do consider you only start to pay once you are officially in the band. I see it in a different way. I see it like a kind of "investment" by sharing equally as if I was already a member of the band and start playing like it's the band I've chosen and see how it goes (and it goes both ways).

When I'm invited by friends, I bring something. Either food or drink, but I like to bring something to participate. Make them taste something I love and share the experience.

Now. If you consider you should not pay unless you are part of the band, well, don't and explain them why. When I do such auditions, I'm not paying the band, I'm paying the studio and will have a chat with the sound engineer to see if it's a place to add to my contacts for studios I might bring friends to.

Mushroo likes this.
  6. Basstigator

Basstigator

Sep 23, 2017
    .... Not in my life.

7. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    I find it all so confusing since people reference the generations by social aspects yet its actually determined by your parents generation. I fit into a weird one because my mom had me at 16 so I am the child, of a child of the boomers.... so technically I could be a millennial.... but I was born in 81'... so no. lol

8. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Do you eat avacado toast? That’s the real test.

9. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    I do not lol. I eat my avocado with a spoon after halving it and adding a dash of salt/lemon

Seanto likes this.
  10. QORC

QORC SUSPENDED

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    actually GenX doesn't begin til '65...but

11. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Dep nds in which definition you use, but I guess it wouldn’t be talkbass unless someone wanted to complain about the trivial.

12. QORC

QORC SUSPENDED

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    I was always under the impression from a variety of sources that the Baby Boom ended in 1964, but some have said as early as 1960. Which leaves me in quandary ....I feel too old to be a Gen X'er, but had almost nothing in common with post-WWII babies that went to Woodstock. I guess I'm a Gen-Boomer

13. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    From: New Guidelines Redefine Birth Years for Millennials, Gen-X, and 'Post-Millennials'

You hear about Millennials, Generation X, and the Baby Boomers all the time, but it’s not always clear who’s a part of these groups. In fact, all of these terms are fairly unofficial social constructs outside of the Boomers—the U.S. Census [PDF] actually defines them as the generation of people born between 1946 and 1964. Now, the Pew Research Center is looking to give more structure to these generational nicknames with a new set of guidelines that establishes where each person belongs depending on their birth year. This is what they’ve come up with:

• The Silent Generation: Born 1928-1945 (73-90 years old)
    • Baby Boomers: Born 1946-1964 (54-72 years old)
    • Generation X: Born 1965-1980 (38-53 years old)
    • Millennials: Born 1981-1996 (22-37 years old)
    • Post-Millennials: Born 1997-Present (0-21 years old)

14. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    I've never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the box, but how can a "Millennial" be born before the new Millennium?

On, or after, surely.

Love those 80's cop shows - you know, those ones they made in the 70's.

How about that 90's Hip-Hop, from 1986?

bkbirge and Mr_Moo like this.
  15. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    In situations where the band is renting space, the arrangement I've always been presented with is: auditions are free, but if we hire you, you're expected to split expenses.

I've NEVER heard of paying to audition. 52 years and counting.

16. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I believe the term refers to when those people came of age, not when they were born.

MordBass likes this.
  17. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    No way no how would I pay to audition. The is guy is delusional.

18. Sounds a lot like that scam where you're supposed to pay a fee to be interviewed for job, or to become part of a sales thing. Only to discover they'll never call you back.