Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PC Recording Cards

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Skerik1, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'm sure this has been covered 324,917 times, but I'm looking for a multi-track recording card for my PC. I have Cool Edit Pro, but I can only record one track at a time (through either my mic input or line in). Is there any kind of card out there that I can record multiple tracks at the same time?

I'm on a budget, so I'll need something as cheap as possible. I'll need at least 7 or 8 inputs.

--Matthew

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Check out the M-audio website. Best bang for the buck, IMO.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why do you want a 7-8 track soundcard when your software can only record 1 (or 2) tracks at a time?

I second M-Audio, the Audiophile is a good entry-level card. I use it myself.

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Why do you want a 7-8 track soundcard when your software can only record 1 (or 2) tracks at a time?

Cool Edit Pro can record as many tracks as your soundcard allows (within reason).

Terratech, EMU, Delta 1010, Aardvark, or the Echo cards are all rationally priced. My personal experience with M-Audio is extremely bad, but plenty of people say otherwise.

5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i have an M-Audio 2496 card.

nice card, but i'm looking at upgrading to the new EMU 1820.

see my other thread.

f

6. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN

That's what i mean--I WANT to record 7-8 tracks at a time. Thanks for the info!

--Matthew

7. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    fhodson,

man i really wish there were some people out there w/ experience with the emu 1820M. i'm sooooo close to sngagging that item, but i'm hesitant as it's brand new with no consumer feedback.

what to do...what to do?

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

That's what i mean--I WANT to record 7-8 tracks at a time. Thanks for the info!

Question: you mentioned you're on a tight budget. Do you already own a mixer, or do you need a computer interface with that many built in preamps too? Or, are some of your sources line level, rather than mic level? A lot of these cards only have two mic preamps, if that, with the other inputs being line level.

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    OK, I misunderstood your post.

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    Mandobass:

i'm with ya, i'm about to spring for one from my local GC.

gonna check about their restocking fee first.

i forgot about Creative acquiring Emu. also been reading about driver support or the lack thereof!

i'm a glutton for bleeding edge...so, if GC will take it back with minimal $$$ impact, i'll probably go ahead and get one this weekend.

i'll report back!

here's a thread about the card elsewhere:

http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m=65955&mpage=1&key=1820&anchor#65955

f

11. rocketrichard

rocketrichard

Mar 11, 2004
    I have a STA/Hoontech Cport which is an excellent sound card/combination. I will admit, perhaps have ing 8in/8out is excessive but the card is actually quite affordable and not that much more than the cheaper m-audio cards. The versatility of having this card is excellent and the boxing is far better quality than the cheaper options, the box is fully rackmountable and has a number of wonderful esoteric LEDS for viewing pleasure.

12. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    I have a Terratec EWX 24/96 for music and a Terratec DMX for gaming.
    I think the DMX is no more..the 24/96 is still available..it has an analog/digital control panel and ASIO drivers.

13. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  14. Another vote for the M-Audio. I have a Delta 44 and love it. Sounds like you need the 1010.