Peavey 1820

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Well, foud this cabinet after looking around since an american seller wont contact me about a nemesis 2x10
    its a good 2 hours away, anyone had any experience with these, ive tested 2 1516 (15" + 2x8") and i rather like them, there is one just near me at a shop but they want $ if any of you have any good comments about this cab i might be the new owner of it, considering the buy without test factor.....oh and BTW i have a Peavey Mark3 150w @4ohm head
  2. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I had a pair of the 1810s that I used throughout the 80s. The cab was too small for the 18, hence the 1820. It was a little better in the low end, but still not up to contemporary standards...If the 18 were in the cabinet, all by itself, that would be another story(think Peavey 118D). The cabs are all plywood and are well made. My 410TXs had a much improved low end...and everywhere else for that matter. There are a lot more good choices now than when Peavey made the 1810/1820 series, IMO.

3. To start, I have never been happy with any Peavey gear that I have owned. So my opinions are biased.

I sold an 1820 a few months ago for $250 USD.

The sound was better than most other Peavey stuff I have had.

It is very big, bulky and heavy.

The 18 gives it a huge low end, but sounds muddy.
    The 2 10's sound clear and punchy.

Overall, I say it is ok.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I used one of these for 3-4 years, and was all in all fairly happy with it. At least until I started being able to afford significantly better gear.;) However, I kept blowing speakers in it - usually the 18". After replacing the basket twice, the third time it blew I replaced it - somewhat on a whim - with a Madison Executioner 1,000w RMS 18. To my surprise, not only did this speaker work well in the 1820, but it was a huge improvement. The low end is so deep now, it really rattles your chest the way the old speaker never did. So, just for kicks, I also replaced the 10's. This time, I used some quality PA drivers from Selenium. Again, a marked improvement.

I still have this cab. It is far too large to lug around (compared to my newer cabs), and it doesn't hold a candle to my EA, Accugroove, Epifani or Mesa Boogie cabs, but again, for an old Peavey cab, it's not too bad, especially with new drivers. It really is a very large cab, so keep that in mind.
  5. well im gonna have to miss this auction :bawl: cos bills have come up and i cant afford it and i wont have that much money again for another 3 weeks :bawl: pity though.....i really like the 1516...if its still at the shop where i tried it then i might lay by it..i really like old peavey it will go with my mark 3 and be my practise amp when i eventually get my swr rig (8004 T/O/P + a goliath 3 or henry the 8x8)

if someone on here see's a 1516 can ya please pm me..
  6. well we might be happy again, i emailed the seller and asked if he wouldnt mind doing a private sale in a fortnight or so if it doesnt sell on there and he was cool with the auction still has 2 days to go..i think it'll be anice rig flashback from the 80's, Kubicki, peavey mark3 and the 1820...DURAN DURAN WHERE ARE YOU!