1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavey Cirrus Serial No.?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobwhite, Jan 14, 2012.

1. bobwhite

bobwhite

Mar 11, 2010
    Saw a Peavey Cirrus serial 0300332 in a store. They do not know too much about it. I was hoping to get date of manuf, country of origin and specs through this serial number (It purports to be a US-made bass.) Can that be done? What does this number tell any of you who know Peavey basses?

Thanks.

2. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I've sent the serial number to Peavey for my USA Cirrus to find out when it was manufactured and it took them 2 days to reply with the info. They should have that info for you.

3. The BXPs are those built outwith the USA. As far as I know, the Cirrus is US.

4. streetknight

streetknight

May 27, 2011
    From what I was told, if it is neck thru construction and the serial number is actually pressed into the back of the head stock, it's US made. Peavey usually can run the serial for you, but I've had some they couldn't.

5. BXP Cirrus (neck thru) is not made in the US. There are two different US versions of the US Cirrus, the neck thru (currently out of production) and the new bolt on neck version. Like others have said send the serial number in to Peavey to get more info.

6. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I need to send my serial to them. I bought a used Cirrus, and would love to know what wood it is made of.

7. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey

This is actually what brought me to this thread - is this true? I am looking at a 6 string Cirrus that I haven't played (an Internet buy) but it is neck through and does have the serial number pressed into the back of the headstock. Does that mean it's a USA made instrument?

8. Yes. Only the USA Cirrus has the serial number pressed into the back of the headstock.

The BXP has a sticker with the S/N.

Also, the USA Cirrus has a solid, one-piece high mass bridge plate design. The Asian-made BXP has a "finger" bridge design, seperate finger plates for each string.

9. jim777

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Thanks so much for the quick reply :) Do all the USA made Cirrus 6's have the same string spacing? Would you know off hand what that spacing is?

10. Pix would help the best - there's an active peavey club

11. Many USA cirrus were painted not presses- some of these wore off

12. jim777

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I see a review that says the spacing at the bridge is 3/4 of an inch, which is 19mm. If that's correct the spacing is wider than I'd enjoy playing. I appreciate the help though guys, thanks :)

13. I'm not sure what the official spec is for that, but the saddles allow a lateral shift to adjust string spacing.

14. Not really - the strings have a natural line

15. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    On a four strings is 19mm.
    The six strings is like 17.5 at the bridge.

16. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Also, I don't think I've ever seen or heard of a 6-string BXP model. So, I *think* a Cirrus 6-string would have to be Made in USA.

17. That's interesting. I sure changed the string spacing on mine.

I'm sure they have a "natural line," but it can be altered, at least it was on my two Cirrus 5's.

d-dave likes this.
  18. I'm not qualified to have an opinion...

19. I didn't know it was an opinion question. I always considered questions of string spacing to be more factual in nature.

ABM bridges, such as that found on the USA Cirrus line, have adjustable spacing.

The factory spec string spacing on a Cirrus 5 is 17.5mm which, due to the ABM lateral saddle adjustment, can be narrowed or expanded about 1mm. So players who prefer wider could get pretty close to that coveted 19mm mark.

20. jim777

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    That's interesting. I has read a review of the Cirrus 6 by Ed Friedland on jazztimes.com and me mentioned the spacing to be 19mm. I didn't check any further, assuming Ed of all folks would know 19 when he held it in his hands. 17.5 I can work with, 19 isn't where i want to be on a 6 though.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/16178-peavey-cirrus-six-string-bass

Actually, he states the spacing at 3/4", which is 19mm. He doesn't comne right out and say 'the spacing is 19mm' in the article.