Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey DPC 1400X vs. Stewart 1.2 or 2.1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Atlanta, May 22, 2004.

1. Ok guys….I know there have been previous threads on this, and I’ve read them all. But I need some additional information.

I’m trying to lighten my rack as much as possible. I would like to limit the rack to 4 or 5 spaces. I have a Demeter HBP-1 preamp, a Korg tuner, and a power conditioner, for a total of 3 spaces. For power and weight purposes, I have narrowed my choices down to the following 3 amps:

1) Peavey DPC 1400X.
    2) Stewart World 1.2
    3) Stewart World 2.1

The pros and cons of the above amps are as follows:

1) Peavey DPC 1400X -- PROS: 1 rack space, 15 pounds, cooling fan, 325 watts into 8 ohms in stereo mode, or 1000 watts into 8 ohms in bridged mode, 5-year warranty. More reliable (?) Class D amp. CONS: Costs more, but the main con is the annoying variable speed fan that speeds up (and gets noisier) as you play louder. I have purchased this amp, but have never gigged with it. However, the fan really annoys me while practicing. Also, there are no Speakon outputs.

2) Stewart World 1.2 – PROS: 1 rack space, 11 pounds, Speakon outputs, quiet due to no fan. CONS: Less power than the Peavey --- 200 watts into 8 ohms in stereo mode, or 700 watts into 8 ohms in bridged mode. No fan, so there is the risk of thermal shutdown, especially in bridged mode (which I would need to drive my EA cabinet). Shorter 3 year warranty. Less reliable (?) Class H amp. I have also purchased this amp. It sounds sweet in practice, but I’ve never gigged with it.

3) Stewart World 2.1 – PROS: 17 pounds, cooling fan (so less chance of thermal shutdown), Speakon outputs, GOBS of power --- 400 watts into 8 ohms in stereo mode, or 1350 watts into 8 ohms in bridged mode. CONS: 2 rack spaces, so I will have to buy a 5-space rack, which will be a bit heavier (but not much). Class H amp. I have never tried one of these amps.

I would like to hear from owners, or previous owners of these amps. My cabinet is a Euphonic Audio NL-210, 8 ohms, 500 watts. My application is a big-band: drums, guitar, keyboard, horns, and singers, so it can get pretty loud. We play in medium-sized halls and churches. I don’t really anticipate using any additional cabinets, but might occasionally use 2 Aguilar GS-112 cabs instead (300w, 8 Ohm each).

My specific questions are as follows:

1. How many people have experienced thermal shutdown with the Stewart 1.2, and under what conditions?
    2. How many players have pushed this amp hard with NO thermal shutdown?
    3. Is the 1.2 going to be able to drive the EA cabinet without bridging the amp and risking thermal problems?
    4. Is the Peavey fan annoying to anyone else, especially during gigging conditions?
    5. Any reliability problems with the Peavey?
    6. Any reliability problems with the Stewart 2.1?
    7. Very important: the Stewart website states that the 2.1 has a “variable speed fan”. My question is: Does this fan speed up under more rigorous playing conditions and become annoying?

Any other info would be appreciated.

I will consider other amps, but nothing over 20 pounds, and nothing with less power.
    I would really prefer to have a 1 rack-space, but would consider a 2-space if all other qualifications are met.

Thanks for your help,

Randy

2. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I have a Stewart 2.1. I bought it used in 2001, so I don't know exactly how old it is and whether the newer ones are any different. Never had any problems whatsoever with it and have done a lot of gigs. I can tell you that the fan on mine is always on. It has never bothered me. Sure, I hear it when I'm in a quiet room by myself...but if the fan got louder under more rigorous playing conditions, I'm sure I would never hear it! :)

If you do go for a 2 space amp in your rack, you might think about losing the power conditioner or the tuner. I replaced my Furman with a regular power strip and don't miss it in the least. I do like my Korg tuner in there!

I'm interested in lightening up my rack too, so I'm also wondering about the Stewart 1.2 and how it performs bridged. I'd love to have a 2 space instead of a 4 space rack.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Randy, I have a Stewart 2.1 that I use in bridged mode at 4 ohms (2100 watts output, to drive the subs). It works hard, it drives a pair of EVX-180A's. The amp's been working flawlessly for a couple of years now, no problems and no issues. The fan is very quiet, even at full speed. I never hear it at a gig, or just barely if my ears stop ringing between songs. It's not annoying in any way. I've never used it for recording purposes though, and don't know how the fan would affect that. It doesn't seem to create any electrical noise (at least I can't hear any, even at full power), which is the worst potential problem for recording. The amp sounds great, I don't know about class H or whatever, but it sounds like a very clean very powerful amp should. Another nice feature on the amp is the two independent power switches, so you can use one channel alone if you need to. If you use channel 2 alone, the fan won't turn on. I've never tried this at a gig, and don't know how the amp would react in that case. It's never shut down on me, for thermal reasons or any other reason. I like the Stewart World 2.1 a lot. I have no experience with the others you mentioned.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just got a new Stewart 2.1 a little over a month ago. Very nice amp. Appears to be very well built. One thing that surprised me, though was that the fan was just as loud as the ones in my PLX's. I'm still happy with it even with the fan noise.

My personal view about the amp thing is expressed by the quote below in my signature. ;)

5. As far as variable fans go, if you're playing loud enough for the fan to activate/get faster, you're making waaay more noise than the fan. I wouldn't worry about them if I were you.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have the Peavey, and I'll agree with Dan.

When I'm playing at home, I can hear the fan coming on - it's a variable one. When I'm playing with any of my bands I can't hear it at all. Maybe if I was doing an acoustic coffee shop gig it would be audible.

I've had it a year, done 30 plus gigs with it and no problems. It replaced a QSC PLX I had, which was great but I fell in love with the Aguilar DB680 two space preamp so it had to go so I could keep a three space rack.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Stewart 2.1 and think it's a great power amp. The only time I hear the fan is when I'm playing at home, and under VERY quiet conditions.

I bought the amp from Jack Read, and at the recommendation in another thread, I asked Jack to install an on-off switch for the fan. When I'm playing really quietly, I'll turn it off, which would also be great for the studio (if I ever make it back into one).

But, like I said earlier, as have others above me, I have to be playing very quietly for the fan to come through. The air conditioning in my loft is louder than the fan in my Stewart.;)

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    after having owned the Peavey and the Stewart 1.2, i'll say the Stewart 2.1.

the peavey's fan is quite annoying and a bit loud for my tastes. also, been experiencing a more audible hiss than i remember.

the 1.2 is a fine amp, but unfortunately it does get a bit hot, blasting 4ohms. i havent had it shut down on me during my most 45 min. sets, but it does get pretty hot afterwards.

also, even with the Peeve's limiter turned off, it doesnt sound as clean and open as the Stewart. the peeve sounds rather focused, while the stewart seems more open and airy.

i've actually been eyeing the 2.1, and am considering it, especially after reading everyone's comments about it.

9. Joker,

Thanks for the info.

More, more !!!!! :help:

Randy

10. 0ne more question that I forgot:

Some have suggested putting a fan in the rack if using the Stewart 1.2. How would that work? Are there special fans made for mounting in racks?

Randy

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    eh,

if a person was to go thru all that trouble, might as well just get the slightly more expensive World 1.6.

12. Stewart recommends one empty rack space above or below (can't recall which) the 1.2 for cooling purposes. May or may not be an issue depending on how deep the other components in your rack are and if they cover a substantial amount of the amp not letting it cool well. At that point you may as well get a 2U amp and enjoy the addiional wattage.

13. Yeah.....I'm kinda leaning that way.

Randy

14. I'll throw in a vote for the Peavey. Joker and I were both noticing a bit of "hum" from them but my noise went away with a good power strip. I have noticed the fan at times (usually during quiet practices) but have never heard it on a gig. I've even had to check to see if it was still working at times (live). I ran it hard for three-plus hours in full sun in 90 degree weather bridged at 4 ohms into an Acme Low B-4 out-doors with no PA support once and didn't have a problem! It's also served under much nicer conditions very happily on countless gigs over the past year and I've never had a single issue other then the original "hum" that went away. Over-all I've been very happy with this amp.

15. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    bass atlanta....from what i read in the past, they were just using those cheapie clip-on type fans and clipped them on to the back of the rack to blow across the amp....i think

16. If you are set on a single rack space unit, the PV has more power and seems to be more reliable under 4 ohm load bridged than the 1.2. If a 2 U will do, I think the 2.1 or QSC PLX is a better choice. But, you already knew this. I miserated over the same question and I ended up throwing out my rack mount power strip, mounting one inside the rack case, using my QSC 1202 and going my merry way with a 4 U rack...................and.....

17. bkirk

bkirk

Oct 2, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Hi Bass Atlanta,
    I run a Demeter 201s and World 1.2 in a 3 space rack with an EA NL-210. I made some ventilation in the top of the case for the Demeter per James' recommendation and left a space above the Stewart, per their recommendation.
    Granted, I've only had this set-up for about 6-8 months but have been thrilled with the sound so far and have had no problems at all. The hot season in Texas is right around the corner so I'll be putting it to the test soon. Also, I tend to do a lot more practicing and recording than performing so I rarely bridge it. A single channel drives the NL-210 just fine. I've also driven an additional satellite Mesa 112 with an Eminence in it with one channel and it still sounded great.
    I have been considering getting a small computer fan (I think 40mm is the smallest they make and should fit in the blank space) to provide additional air flow for the Stew.
    So, speaking to your questions 1, 2, 3 and additional (8).
    1. Has never shut down
    2. Haven't driven it hard enough to shut it down, I guess, but I have played outdoor gigs which demand some juice. At this point, I don't know how hard you have to drive a 1.2 to get it to shut down.
    3. Drives it fine w/o bridging.
    8. I'll figure a way to get the 40mm fan in the empty single space and comment later.
    As an additional note, I selected this equipment after a fairly comprehensive search to get what I liked - a lot. Also, I wanted it to be as small and light weight as possible and still sound fantastic.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Stewart World 2.1: absolutely love mine (I'll just ditto the positive comments that others have made). I've never found the fan to be annoying.

19. i work for peavey and have considered getting a DPC1400X for my rack, but my GAS has subsided for a while.

the only real benefit of the DPC is that it is truly 1U -- you don't need any space above it for cooling, unlike the 1.2. so if it's not about money or available power, the DPC wins against the 1.2.

but if you're willing to go 5-space with a 2U power amp, the 2.1 offers more power. however, if you're willing to spend DPC money on an amp, i recommend the crest pro 5200. peavey owns crest, so take this recommendation for what it's worth to you. i've tested them in the lab at work. they sound great and they're powerful and light. 2U, 25 lbs., and 1050W bridged into 8 Ohms (290W per side). i am much more comfortable with that rating than the stewart's. i've heard many complaints about stewarts not being as loud as a comparably rated amp, but i haven't been able to substantiate. so take it for what it's worth. another plus is that the pro 5200 is class AB instead of class H -- there is less complexity in the design and slightly better sound.

again, though, i work for this company, so take my advice for what it's worth. there's much to be said for more power. i'd take the DPC over the 1.2, but if a 2U amp is acceptable, i think you'd be happier with the 2.1 -- i never ran out of power with my old crown K2 (500W per side into 8 Ohms). i hate running out of power.

robb.

20. I considered doing that also, but couldn't figure out how to power it, since it has those connections for plugging into the motherboard. Any ideas?

Randy