1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PEAVEY Minimega/MESA subway D800+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EddieJackson, Dec 6, 2018.

1. EddieJackson

EddieJackson

Oct 29, 2008
    Hello everyone :)
    I really like the sound and connectivity on those two amps.

But..around 600 USD for the Peavey,versus 1100 USD for the Mesa...(at least in my country).
    How can such a price difference be justified ? Better component quality? Handmade in California /made in Asia ?.....

What do you think ?
    I'm still hesitating...

Cheers !

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Eddie :)

Peaveys are nice! But Mesas are nicer! :D (IM not so HO)

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

EddieJackson likes this.
  3. EddieJackson

EddieJackson

Oct 29, 2008
    Why? :)

4. You don't say where you are, but if you have a legit Mesa importer/distributor where you live, even at the price difference, the Mesa would be my only choice. The offshore-built Peaveys of today are not the quality products he made his reputation with, as much as it pains me to say it. Hartley is a remarkable man, but his abandonment of American production is baffling . . . . .

kobass and EddieJackson like this.
  5. EddieJackson

EddieJackson

Oct 29, 2008
    ...and this is what I imagined,unfortunatly.I'm from France.
    The Mesa is 1275 Euros, about 1300 USD...

6. EddieJackson

EddieJackson

Oct 29, 2008
    Bump :)
    Anyone?

7. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    I believe John Taylor (Duran Duran) plays through a Peavey MiniMega, so they can’t be too bad.

bassbooty and EddieJackson like this.
  8. popgadget

popgadget Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    I had a mini mega and it wasn’t a bad amp. My objection was that while I could always get the sound I was looking for, it always took a batch of fiddling to get there, as it had way more possibilities than I needed. I never used the compressor, Kosmos or crunch for example. But I never had any trouble with it and the power section delivered. I ended up with the much smaller and lighter Puma 900 (which doesn’t have the power that the Peavey had) because it suited my needs better. It’s new owner is very pleased with it.

I have not owned a Subway, but have had many customers bring them to audition cabs, and it’s a good amp as well.
    I probably would prefer the Mesa, but I don’t know that it’s a clear choice,especially at that price differential.

EddieJackson likes this.
  9. EddieJackson

EddieJackson

Oct 29, 2008
    Thanks for your input :)

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Mesa gear can sit on any stage on the planet and get NOTHING but respect that is earned and well deserved from every musician that walks by it.

...and they let their design engineer hang out around here and THAT has real value

kobass, EddieJackson and agedhorse like this.
  11. The Euro distributor may be on the hook for the 5 year warranty on Mesa? Still price seems high.

EddieJackson likes this.
  12. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I own Peavey gear. If I had the money, I would own Mesa gear.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    EddieJackson likes this.
  13. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Each country/region's authorized importer/distributor of record sets the own warranty terms based on the laws governing that country/region. While some may offer a 5 year warranty, it's important to check the details in the region that the amp is being sold. Generally, the importer/distributor of record is only responsible for the warranty of units that they imported/distributed.

EddieJackson likes this.
  14. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Thanks for clarifying this, as I have never fully understood why Fender products have a five year warranty in America but only one year in New Zealand and Australia. No doubt this applies to other manufacturers as well. It has always seemed mean/illogical to me that the manufacturer does not ensure that equivalent warranties apply around the world.

15. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The warranty laws and requirements are different from country to country.

16. NZ consumer protections extend far past manufacturer 1 year warranties on durable goods. The retail distribution agents ignore the law and hope for a majority of ignorant consumers. They go as far as selling a moot extended warranty!

Tim1 likes this.
  17. Andy, do MI manufacturers run into or enforce the same situation as many electronic products, whereby if a retail customer in France, for instance, buys an American version (or any similar situation where the so-called 'gray market' is cheaper to a given locale), the French licensed distributor won't touch it with a 10-foot pole, even if the buyer pays for repairs completely? We see this a lot in photo products, with wording as such included in the warranty handouts. I realize Mesa and others deal in a lot of countries with varying laws, but is this common?

18. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    True, but that does not prevent a manufacturer from insisting on establishing a longer formal warranty with the importer. I find it difficult to comprehend that it would cost the manufacturer significantly more to insist on a standard warranty worldwide. If they are confident enough to state five years in the States, surely that confidence should be maintained worldwide?

19. Neither of these amps have toobs and if you used them as paperweights they would be ineffective. That being said I have a special place in my heart for Mesa.

EddieJackson likes this.
  20. You're not wrong!

I doubt Rockshop warrants Mesa for 5 years, could be wrong, but unless you are a pro musician you're covered by Consumer Guarantees Act and they would be hard pressed to deny the 5 year expectation of durability.

AnythIng else in the way of a bass amp should last at least 5 years fault free, hell, my Trace is nearly a quarter century old.

5 years set in stone from manufacturers would be nice though. I don't think professional players get much out of Consumer Guarantees Act.

Tim1 likes this.