1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Peavey Minimega Power unexpected low output

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPM1979, Mar 12, 2018.

1. JPM1979

JPM1979

Mar 12, 2018
    Hello guys, well I recently bought a Minimega and hooked it up to my Headliner 410 8ohm Cab. The amp sounds great, but I was dissapointed with the power output (which should be 700w @ 8ohm). I thought it would be much louder.

I decided to put my old Laney RB6 165W amp and test it next to the minimega (side by side), putting them both at 5 they sound the same. I would expect the Minimega to be 4 times louder than the Laney combo amp, but this isn't the case.

By the way I am connecting the minimega to the cabinet via a 10 gauge speakon cable.

Anyone Minimega owners can feedback on this please?

2. Return immediately and get a replacement. There have some problem units. Peavey will most likely repair or replace if you can't just return it to whom you bought it. This amp is KILLING loud at 4 ohms. I only run 8 ohms at low volume gigs. Still it should be significantly louder than your combo.
    As to "it should be 4 times as loud" that's not how the math works out.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Knob position and volume will never match from amp to amp across brands or even models. Perhaps this might account for the difference?

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  4. As always, from the horses mouth...... I believe the knobs are useable throughout their range. Don't be afraid to turn them.
    Try starting all knobs at noon except this, try gain 9-12 and master 12-2 or more, also try hitting the Punch button, it gives a low mid kick. I've run mine through a Bergantino Ex112 8 ohm and its loud enough to gig with a drummer that's reasonable.
    Also music styles play into all this, what are you trying to sound like? What do you play?

5. There is not a linear relationship between power output and how loud something sounds.
    Your ears don't do things that way.

If you could use the same speakers (assuming they could handle the power) you would need to increase power roughly ten times for the bigger amp to sound about twice as loud as the small one.

Still, I would expect your new amp to sound a little louder than the old one. That is if the power of both amps are measured and rated the same way.

If you really want to get more bang for your buck, adding speakers (while keeping within the impedance rating of the amp) is the way to go. Doubling up on speakers will get you in the vacinity of sounding twice as loud.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021