Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peavey nitrobass DDT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapinandpopin7, Jul 24, 2005.

1. I have a peavey nitrobass head going into a 4 ohm carvin 2 10 cab, the ddt light comes on when my pre gain is at about 10 o clock and my volume at 12 o clock, im wondering what this does, am i hurting my speakers/amp, it is not very loud but i dont want to push it if the light is coming on. any tips for getting the loudest sound with out pushing that ddt thing would help.

Thanks,
    Andy

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The DDT feature is designed to save you from blowing your speakers. It's essentially, and correct me if I'm wrong, a function of the amp which detects distortion in the signal and tries to tone it down before it hits the speakers to stop them blowing out. My BAM 210 has it and it's come on now and again and I haven't blown anything... must be working. So don't worry about it, it's helping you but the less it blinks the better.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    To get the loudest sound without having that turn on, turn the bass EQ down. Use mids to cut through and be heard. If that's not an option, then you're pretty much stuck, cos I don't think that head can go down to a 2ohm load.

-Ray

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

A Nitrobass does go down to 2 ohms. Specs are;

170W@8 ohms
    300W@4 ohms
    450W@2 ohms

Hope that helps :hyper:

5. how much of a difference is 300 watts to 450, in terms of loudness? i dont really use the amp eq i use a boss bass eq and the mxr m80 to eq.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Doesn't matter where the EQ is coming from, turn the bass side of things down.
    And since it can run to two ohms, another cab is an option to get more volume. The 150W difference you wont notice, but the more cone area will make a difference. For simplistic sake, more speaker area = louder.

-Ray

7. ok so how much louder will another speaker be? lets say a 12 inch cab.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    There's no real way of telling... just got to try it and see for yourself. It'll definitly be noticeable...

-Ray

9. would a 15 inch cab sound louder than a 12 inch cab cuz the cone would be bigger? or is it just the number of cones?

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Size and number will both effect volume. This is why an 8x10 cab with the same impedence, run by the same head, bass, player, FX, etc. will be much louder than a 2x10 (in general... of course, the efficiency of the cabs comes into play also). A 15 will in general be louder than a 12, given everything else equal. But also, the frequency handling, and how that sound is percieved is effected. Some cabs you have to be standing a few steps away from to hear their real volume, some you have to be right up against.
    I seriously suggest you just take your head around town to local shops, with your current cab and bass, and ask if they'll let you try some other setups. Try other cabs alone with your head, try them with your head and cab, etc. etc. Just make sure to keep using your bass, or if you don't want to haul it, use the same bass the entire time, and preferrably one as similar to yours as possible.

-Ray

11. IMHO, yes a 15 inch cab would sound louder than a 12 AND it would produce more low end saving you the need to add low end to the EQ and making you power amp (and DDT) work harder.

I tend to set the Low EQ on my amp at 2-3 o'clock when I run just the 2x10 cab. I set it at 12 - 1 o'clock if I've got the 1x15 and 2x10 going.

12. i think im gonna go for the avatar 15H kappa or the NEO, which do you guys think would be a better choice? considering low end and wattage handling, sound.

Thanks,
    Andy