Peavey vb-2 vs Little Mark Tube 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seney8, Mar 22, 2011.

1. seney8

seney8

Mar 5, 2011
    All tube 225 watt American made or Hybrid 800 watt from Italy??? What would you pick?

2. TOTALLY different amps. The LMT800 has VERY little of what most call a tube tone. It is very modern, and uses a very small, single preamp tube that IME has very little effect. Very nice amp, but closer to the other solid state amps in tone and feel than more tube-like soundng hybrids like the Mesa MPulse600, the Walkabout, or the wonderful new Streamliner900 from Genz.

If you are trying to somewhat mimic an all tube tone, I woul not choose the LMT800. The LMRocker sounds quite tubey by comparison, although it really shines more in full out snarl/distortion mode. For a clean tube tone in a micro, it is the Streamliner all the way IMO.

3. Gwardar

Gwardar

May 24, 2009
    Australia
    I had exactly the same dillema some time ago and went with MarkBass.

Can't really explain why. It is a completely different amp, so comparing it to VB-2 is indeed apples to oranges.

However MB LittleTube 800 is a great solid state amp in all respects. The VB-2 on the other hand - well, if you want all tube with all its hassles than settle for no less than Ampeg. That was my way of thinking. Don't want to be lugging the kilos and replacing the tubes in exchange for less than perfect.

Cheers

MP

4. seney8

seney8

Mar 5, 2011
    See I was thinking the same, LMT800 has a great solid state sound with a touch of warmth with the preamp tube, I have the Markbass tube compressore pedal so that could add a little more warmth to the overall sound, MXR 10-band eq and call it a day...

5. Gwardar

Gwardar

May 24, 2009
    Australia
    It's all subjective, but all MarkBass products seem to be very good. Even if you don't like them it's really hard to objectively have a go, becaue they are pretty good quality.

Beating up a VB-2 is no challenge though ;). Enough said.

So I think:
    MarkBass = great solid state amp. Small, ultra-light, great tone, huge volume, good build quality, reasonable price. Hard to beat in it's category.

VB-2 = OK, but mundane tube amp. It's no Ampeg believe me, finally I did get an SVT-VR and there is a difference, big one. It'll do if you want tube for the sake of tube.

Still take the LittleTube to the rehearsals and small gigs, so I don't bust my gut with Ampeg rig. Little beast gets plenty of workout.

6. Gwardar

Gwardar

May 24, 2009
    Australia
    BTW. MB compressore would be a pefect compliment because the Little Tube 800 hasn't got a built-in compressor. This is probably the only shortcoming I found.

7. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    Out of curiosity, have you actually played through the vb-2? your comments suggest otherwise. sure its not an SVT, but it can get pretty close with the right settings. Messing around with different gain settings(both clean and OD) and the master volume can provide a huge range of options. It's definitely up there as a good (more)affordable tube option, it sure as heck blows the Traynor YBA200 out of the water. I even actually like it more than my old ampeg b25b.

Honestly, from my experience hailing Ampeg as the end all best tube amp is like saying Fender makes the best basses, its all subjective and personal preference. Sure overall they're quite good that's where it ends.

I've never played through the Markbass, so I can't offer any insight there, but I've played a few shows where other bands have used their products and I though they sounded good.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Had to make this same decision a little over a year ago: went with the VB-2.

No regrets. It's a very capable head.

9. The VB-2 is an outstanding amplifier... easy to pick on a product simply by it's brand name I suppose?

10. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yup, I almost passed on it because of the name. That would have been a tragedy.

Everyone has to own a Peavey at some point so you might as well get it out of the way :p

11. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    Might as well be this one!

Plus, this is made right here in the US of A. Peavey even halted their plans to produce this overseas prior to its release.

12. Dethrats

Dethrats

Oct 26, 2010
    Napoleon, Ohio
    VERY happy with my VB-2. wouldnt trade it for anything.
    well maybe the VB-3 :p

13. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Another happy VB2 owner. I prefer it to my Ampeg V4BH by a mile. The VB2 is my favorite amp to gig through.

I also own Markbass and GK gear and find them to be reallly excellent quality products. For situations when the VB2 is too much for whatever reason, I go immediately to my Markbass or GK amps.

14. I also love the VB-2...it seems to be a hidden gem in the amp world.

15. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    I've had the VB-2 for over a year now and it's never failed me and has always delivered a very good tone, bedroom or gig.

Anecdotal:

One of my best friends, an Ampeg fanatic, has had his SVT-CL (American Made) crap out on him repeatedly over the last 2 years and since it's last death; he has been borrowing my VB-2 for his gigs. He's become so enamored with it he is getting one once a buyer for the broken down SVT-CL can be found.

16. seney8

seney8

Mar 5, 2011
    Thanks everyone for your input. Greatly appreciated! I've stuck with the VB-2 for quite awhile and as I do really enjoy it, I'm looking for something new. I know you can't go wrong with an Ampeg SVT, but frankly I'm not really a HUGE fan. I love well rounded warm tube bass tones for more hard rock. Any ideas on other favorite amps, popular or new companies?

Thanks again!

17. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    the new Fender Bassman 300, Traynor YBA300, or my personal favorite, Marshall VBA400. These are just a few tube amp options other than an SVT that I think could give you more than the VB2. I have a VB2 and really like it alot, but my Marshall VBA400 wins it for raw power and style.

18. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Oct 13, 2005
    Meridian, MS
    The VB-MA will be released in a few months.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 18, 2021