Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Mar 7, 2005.

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I was looking into buying a Peavey TNT115 with 150 watts. Has anybody tried it out? They want $449 for it good buy or not? I need something portable with some power. :bassist:
  2. well the TNT 115 isn't exactly what i'd call protable. the thing is a pain to move around and really doesn't give you a ton of power either. 449 is about what i paid for mine...but looking back on it i really don't think it was worth it. Hell i'd give you mine for 300 bucks if you were in philly.

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    What about the Peavey BAM 2-10 combo With 500watts? Has anybody used that amp? :meh:
  4. If you do a search, you will see that at least one TBer has used and been very impressed with the BAM Combo.
  5. +1

A search will also give you an idea of the weight (90+ lbs, if I recall). Portability is all in the back of the beholder.

6. merrill1

Dec 1, 2004
    unless you are really into peavey, I'd say check some other stuff out. That seems fair for the TNT.
    personally I'm not a fan, but they are OK amps. You can get quite a few different great amps for that amount of money - especially used!

shop around for what you like the sound of
  7. mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Man I bought a used TNT150 in almost new condition in 1988 for 175 bucks. My how times have changed.
  8. 2slick4u

Jan 18, 2005
    I went to a local store and got the chance to play thru some peavey tour cabs and I must say that I was rather impressed by the sound. I wasn't expecting much as it was the lower end series, but they really put out despite their meager (compared to other cabs) power ratings. Very loud, very nice sounding. Even the 210 alone have a very ballsy low end.

I wouldn't mind getting to try one of their 412's either. :eek:
  9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Try the Yorkville XM200. Much more portable and very loud for 200 watts.
  10. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    The XM200, and any other in that line are dissapointing, try to track down one of the BM series combos, seriously the BM100 had more balls than the XM200...
  11. Jazster

Dec 6, 2004
    Shop around! For that amount you can get twice the power (Headroom) and a better cab, Have you checked out Avatar cabs? The 2X12 is supposed to be sweet and its a little over 200.00 bucks-
  12. 2slick4u

Jan 18, 2005
    **A little over $300
  13. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Check out this cool stuff!

Click here!

On your budget these amps and cabs would be a great starting point. But you might do even better buying used.

That's what I would do.

14. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    And check the "Combo Amp Megathread". Do a search on combo amps. That pros and cons thread might have you rethinking this whole combo idea. :meh:
  15. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Peavey stuff has never struck me as being super high quality to start with (although I do kinda like their Black Widow speakers) but you can almost shoot their stuff with a 12 gauge and it keeps on going. If your heart is set on a TNT combo, look around for a used. It will probably sound just as good and be a lot cheaper.
  16. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I'll second that :hyper:
  17. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Hm, you are the first person who has ever said that. Usually people say the BM line was poor and the XM line is miles ahead. :eyebrow: Why do you like the BM so much better than the XM?
  18. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Believe it or not, it's not a terrible amp. I used to be really, really anti-Peavey after having the worst amp ever: a TKO 65 circa 1986 or so. I was looking for a mid size amp about 3 years ago & my friend at the music store told me about how Peavey is supposed to be getting their act together, etc...
    I bit on the TNT 115. It was a good amp. Nice solid state tone - bright & fat enough. Served me well for a couple of years. One MAJOR design flaw - only a top strap to move that 90lb+ beast around.

That being said, I just traded it in on an Ampeg B100R to serve as my secondary amp to my Yorkville XS400H.

I'd echo some of the other sentiments on this thread: I'm thrilled with my new Ampeg, & Yorkville is the best kept secret in bass amplification. I used to own a BM200 & foolishly sold it. I can't really comment on the XM/BM debate, but the XS series is wonderful.
  19. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    The XM line just doesn't impress me, the thing I enjoyed about the BM series is how clean the tone section was, the XM's just don't have that.

To top it off, I've played the XS400 and XM 200, as well as all three of the BMs (100, 200, 400). The XS400 had a decent volume, but the BM400 IMO was much louder and much cleaner. The XM200 is not suitable for anything other than the quietest band settings, and I'd hate to bring the XM100 to a band practise.

Like I said , I've played all three amps in the BM line and have never had any complaint. Sure the BM100 would never be loud enough for a rock band, the BM200 will suffice if you get it up off the ground, and the BM400 is a loud combo that plays pretty low when you need it too.

All that being said, I did mess around with a XS800 into the XC808 a few times, lot of power there, but I still couldn't get a decent tone after a few hours of playing in the store...
  20. Jazster

Dec 6, 2004
    I've used Peavey for years and while they're 12 guage proof (I'll agree), when can u upgrade? Don't get in the position where u have to use it for years-For 500.00 bucks there is sooo much out there, check out the SWR Workingman stuff-I've read reviews and its all good