1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peavy Project

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BHester93, Oct 11, 2013.

1. BHester93

BHester93

Feb 18, 2013
    Mississippi
    So i was yard selling around just looking for oddities and i came across a literal walmart sack bass. the guy had taken it apart and tried to paint over the existing purple(with disasterous results) and it became too much project for him. so for 20 bucks i had all the parts for a peavy 4 string bass. but i thought why just put it together? why not do it better than that? so i ended up painstakingly hand sanding all the old paint of lf and redoing it with a modest semi gloss white. then i purchased a new bridge and some EMG PA V-3 pickups and it was on. i tried everything i could to whiten the pickguard. bleach, everythin under the sink, denture cleaning tablets.. you name it. but in the end i think it came out nice and oh my God at the output on those EMGs. its a screamer. but its very clear and very defined. overall it was a fun build and in the end was totally worth the work ImageUploadedByTalkBass1381500666.557885. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1381500686.210136.

2. BHester93

BHester93

Feb 18, 2013
    Mississippi
  3. BHester93

BHester93

Feb 18, 2013
    Mississippi
  4. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I think the 'aged' white pickguard looks appropriate. Nice rescue

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Great job! Good of you to recognize the potential. I love my Furys.

The aged pickguard IS perfect for it - Don't worry about it!

6. BHester93

BHester93

Feb 18, 2013
    Mississippi
    i was worried about it escpecislly since nothing i did could clean it but in the end i think the yellowed look went pretty well with the rest

7. BHester93

BHester93

Feb 18, 2013
    Mississippi
    but thanks for the complements im glad that i was able to breathe some life back into it haha

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    There are several places you can send your old PG to and they will make you a new one just like it.

That said, a few quick coats of Krylon Fusion or some sort of epoxy paint in black on the PG would set the whole thing off and keep it in the spirit of a low buck revival bass.

Looks just fine to me, but everyone sees a thing in their own personal way.

9. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Awesome! In love when I find deals like this! Nice work!