1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pedulla MVP-5 Value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockiezz, Aug 2, 2012.

1. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    So I have a line on this 1996 Pedulla, Whats the value? This does not have the pan and mid boost features the newer Pedulla's have. Trying to decide to buy or not to buy. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sure is pretty. Have a look at completed Ebay auctions to get an idea on value.

3. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Yea, I've been to eBay and there are no current or completed auctions. Even searched some on-line stores...nothing. I was thinking $900 to offer. So I come here where real Bass players hang out!

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I've played a number of older Pedulla MVP and Buzz models throughout the years (from the late 70s through the mid-90s) and every single one was a stellar instrument regardless of which electronics package it had. I have no idea what the "going rate" for a ~15 year old MVP-5 is, but I'm confident that so long as it wasn't abused it'd be a killer instrument.

5. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I have a 1998 fretless version of the same bass in the same finish and with the same electronics. It is a killer bass with unique looks. Most people that buy the bass get the fretless version so they hold their value a bit better than the fretted ones. If I were selling the bass you listed and if it was in mint condition I'd be asking about $1300 and be willing to drop to $1100. Since you're buying I'd recommend you start at $1000 and see if he bites but I don't think I'd pay much more than $1100 for it. If it were my bass and in mint condition and you offered me $900 for it I'd be insulted or just assume you didn't know the real value of these basses.
    If you do buy be sure to get the hard case and the truss tool (it's a special tool unique to Pedulla basses). Also check the finish very carefully for peeling or chips. Pedulla uses a very thin coat process on their finishes and sometimes it does chip easy. Also if it's not dead stock, look elsewhere. People buy these basses because of the way they sound so if any of the electronics have been modified it will be worth a lot less (kinda like modding a Stingray or a Warwick, just don't do it).

6. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Thanks GBass, good info there. I was kind of concerned with the electronics. The seller said he needed to "fix" the battery lead and I'm not 100% on how it should look. The negative (black) lead in on the input jack and that just seems incorrect to me. I sent a note and called Pedulla but they are out of the office till next week. I will look on-line to see if I can find a wiring chart for this bass.

7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    MVP-5 has been the flagship of Pedulla basses for a long time.
    These easily sell for up to $2000.00 used.
    Great basses,definately worth pursuing.

8. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Here's a completed ebay listing for a buzz bass (fretless) similar to the one you're looking at. It sold for more than I would have paid for it but thats ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pedulla-Pen...g-/300739265937?pt=Guitar&hash=item4605750591

9. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Recent ebay completed auction history on MVP (fretted bass) 5 strings is an asking price of $1800 BIN with zero bids/no sale and an MVP 4 string with a high bid of $610/no sale.
    The fretless ones have done better with the 4 strings selling for $1099, $1300, $1875 and $1028 or about $1325 on average. One 5 string Buzz bass was sold at $2095 another one had a starting price of $2000 but closed with no bids.
    The entire Pedulla line up is outstanding from a quality standpoint and all their basses sound fantastic. If you haven't looked at the Rapture and Thunderbass models yet you might want to look at those as well. They are the more traditional Pedulla choices for fretted players and might run a little cheaper than the MVP.
    Good luck with the purchase.

10. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Well I bought it, should work out as a good partner to my NYC Sadowsky. This was a Craigslist purchase so very little time to figure it out and it was the only choice, no Raptures or Thunderbasses. The main difference with this bass is it's older so the electronics are not the newest configuration. I believe it's V-V-T for the knobs. I have a e-mail into Pedulla to quote upgrading it to the newest pick-up/EQ option, we'll see. Thanks for the input from all.

11. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Cool! Congrats on one of the best bass purchases you could have made. As one Pedulla owner to another...
    Pedulla.
    Be sure to post a pic of yours when you get a chance.

Ulises Ramos likes this.
  12. Puma

Puma Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2010
    VA
    Beautiful bass man! Congrats :bassist:

13. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Sunny South Florida
    That's a good deal! They now list for around $4800. I got my mint 1999 PentaBuzz for $1300 and I thought it was new! It's got the mid boost which is great for fretless but maybe def not a deal breaker for an MVP. Pedulla does have and sell the truss wrench for like $25 I think if you need one. Congrats, she's a beauty! There's been one on eBay with a broken truss rod for a couple of months for $1000. That's a $1500 repair from Pedulla which would include set up and maybe some new frets. Nowhere near as nice as your new baby.

14. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Well, it is a $1200 repair according to the Pedulla website. The prices have gone up over the last couple of years. The bass with the broken truss rod has been kicking around for a few years and at one time I thought about buying it, but then the owner was only asking I think 5 or $600 and the repair was only $900, probably would have been worth doing. But, the broken bass is worth nowhere near $1000.

15. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Hay thanks for the great comments! I played (insert guy or girl name here) tonight, 1 song... I tune my D to D# to play a song in Eb (I think thats right). Sounded nice, still needs tweeked, everyone else liked it. I have two channels on my amp so I need to balance them out. My Sadowsky has a bigger tone, the Pedulla is different. Cheers!

Attached Files:

16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    In case you're wondering what a stock three knob Pedulla Pentabuzz (and I assume MVP) control cavity looks like here's some pics...
    Pedulla001.
    http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu36/GBassNorth
    /Pedulla002.jpg
    Pedulla003.
    Pedulla007.
    Let me know if you need more pics or close ups.

17. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    That's it, I have exactly the same bartolini TC-4 pre amp/pots in my 1992 MVP6!

Here it is:

(click to enlarge)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the bass:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Hey Beans - Nice Bass!
    I've played the 4 knob+switch Buzz bass and actually like the 3 knob better. I can dial in the tone I want much quicker on the 3 knob version. To the OP - I'd recommend you keep the stock 3 knob version, some like it more and a modded Pedulla might not be a good thing on resale. It's a killer bass with a killer tone and a killer look - great add to the clan.

19. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Ditto on the 3-knob preference for controls: Volume, blend, and tone. It's a great sounding overall-boosted circuit. A minor complaint is that there isn't a passive option in case battery goes dead. However, I have never had a battery go dead.

20. rockiezz

rockiezz

Feb 5, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Here is my control cavity, Looks correct from what I can see. I have to check the pick-up wire colors and make sure they are correct.

Attached Files: