1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

People with no vehicle?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Burt35, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Burt35

Burt35

Dec 9, 2013
    I recently scheduled an audition with a horn player. Later (and before the audition), it came to light that he doesn't own a car. I'm not really sure how he expects to get himself to where he needs to be on a regular basis.

Have any of you folks had this happen? How common is it for people to take an audition and not have their own transportation? If I don't exlpicitly say "you must have your own transportation", do people actually take that to mean they can get rides from other band members? How much of a deal breaker is this for people trying to hire musicians?

2. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

Nov 25, 2013
    In NYC, it is probably not much of a problem.

In the midwest United States, where I live, a musician without wheels is a musician that only plays at home.

Good luck!

3. Brelic

Brelic

Jun 26, 2011
    East Coast, Canada
    It's only a problem if it becomes a problem ;)

If you like what you hear, and he gets to where he needs to be on time, does it matter?

Bunk McNulty, JRA, SeamzKing and 5 others like this.
  4. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

How about the drummer who has no kit or vehicle. Had that happen in the early 90's. He was very talented but his life was a mess.

5. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Depends on where you live, in big cities it is common for people to commute by train, subway, taxi. I live in a small town where there is not public transportation so you must to have a car.

6. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Ditto.
    I had guy pull that a few weeks ago,called me at last minute - turns out he has no license or car. And he was "bad".

7. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Big problem if you are in DFW. No car, no show.

totallyfrozen likes this.
  8. I ditched my car when I moved here to Chicago. I'm not playing in band at the moment, but I think I'd be able to get away with taking the bus/train/taxi to where I need to be.

getbent likes this.
  9. WashburnAB95

WashburnAB95

Nov 18, 2013
    I don't think it is any of your buisness how the dude gets around. You hire him if he sounds good and has a good aditude. It is only your consern if he dosn't show up. Fire him then if nessissary.

10. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Where do you live?
    Living in the Mid-West I would not even consider the person.
    Around here no vehicle means DWI's which means drinking problem......

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  11. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I could see that if you are a horn player. Not much to haul. But I assume you are a bass player which means you got a rig to haul too. There is no way I could get my rig, bass guitar and gig bag onto a bus or subway. Maybe a taxi with a patient driver.

12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Can you give the piano player a ride? pianoplayerneedsaride.

13. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Just let him know that he is expected to provide his own transportation to and from the gig. If it's too inconvenient for you to be his taxi, all things considered (talent, attitude, reliability, etc), then keep auditioning players until you find one that you like and can work with. Sometimes the most brilliant player doesn't get the gig because of all the other baggage s/he brings.

Wishing you luck. All the best.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

bassbully and DocGeorge like this.
  14. Well, I certainly wouldn't try to run a massive tube amp and an 8x10 cab without owning my own wheels, but I could get away with a micro head in my gig bag, and a lightweight 2x10 cab of some sort.

getbent and MTFD24 like this.
  15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    As others have mentioned, it really depends on where you live and where you play. If you live in the city and he can take the train or a bus, it shouldn't be a big deal unless your gigs are outside of the area. I live 25 miles south of Boston where there is no public transportation. We rehearse 25 miles south of where I live and we all live in different towns so everyone needs a vehicle.

16. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The prevalent attitude in the US is that people without a car are some kind of second class citizen, like there must be something wrong with them. It's really starting to piss me off.

Have you ever stopped to think how monstrously expensive automobiles really are? How many hundreds are going out of your pocket every month just to feed the beast? It's all well and good if you want to do that but for some people it's just not possible or preferable. My car quit on me a few months ago and I miss it maybe one day in ten. Which is good because there's no possible way I can afford a new vehicle.

17. jd-ns

jd-ns

Sep 28, 2010
    Canada
    A player with no wheels causes nothing but headaches for the rest of the band in my experience.

Early on it's not bad as they try hard to make a good impression by getting drives and showing up for everything. But as time goes on they become more reliant on other band members for rides, carring gear in their car, etc... and it becomes a convenient excuse for being unable to make practices, etc.

Mvilmany, Stewie26 and hdracer like this.
  18. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I do not consider a person without a car a "second class citizen". I think it's less about owning a "thing" like a car and more about personal responsibility. If a person can get to where they need to go, take care of business, live their life the way they see fit, etc, without a car, then more power to them. I can't live my life without my own transportation and I would never expect anyone else to haul me around in their car. Cars are expensive and I do not want to have others bare that expense for me.

I drive a 13 year old van with over 100,000 miles to haul my gear. I like not having a payment but it's not that easy on gas. It takes a big heap of maintenance now and then. I can't afford a new car either. But you gotta do what you gotta do to get to work, put food on the table, pay the bills, etc. Don't hate those of us who make our vehicles work for us.

smiley-signs098.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It's a simple matter of logistics. With most US cities having little to no public transportation, and sprawling cities, owning a car is critical in order to be able to meet your obligations.

BassCliff likes this.
  20. lfmn16

lfmn16 SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Sorry, but if the OP is doing the hiring, it is his business how the dude plans to get around. Particularly if getting rides from other band members is part of the plan..

Although I agree with the other posters that where you live is a factor, I've always lived in the suburbs and it's always been an issue when someone doesn't have a car and depends on others for transportation. Just one man's opinion (and 40+ years of playing in bands) of course.

Burt35 likes this.