Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Perhaps not really a bug, but it bothers me anyway.

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Benjamin Strange, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I browse TB by using the New Posts Search. I post, then I back up to the origanal search and keep going. But when I make a long post or sit on a page for a while, by the time I make it back to the search results, it marks all the posts as read. I haven't read them, and I would like to keep the go to first unread post button active there.

Hope that made some sense.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    This has driven me crazy for years! Sometimes, my dialup will throw me off, and by the time I can get back logged in the new posts have been reset! Arrrgh!

3. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    This has to do with a 'cookie timeout' setting in our forum software, I believe. The timeout is currently set at 15 minutes, so all threads will be marked as read after 15 minutes of inactivity (idleness, or while you're typing a reply). I'm afraid changing this setting to more than 15 minutes is not really a good option for the forums... One possible solution might be to have another browser open to the TB forums and just hit 'reload' on that window every 10 minutes or so to keep your cookie from timing out...

4. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    This drives me nuts, too.

The way I get around it (kinda) is to used tabbed-browsing ala Mozilla/Firefox and open all the threads you want to read in a new tab. Sort of what Paul suggested