1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Permanent Solo: comparation with Spirocore and / or Evah Pirazzi.

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by TMSP, Apr 27, 2010.

1. TMSP

TMSP

Feb 6, 2010
    Aveiro, Portugal
    Hi.

I need your comparison with Permanent Solo and Spirocore Solo and / or Evah Pirazzi Solo.
    Right now, I am playing with Evah Pirazzi Solo but I need more sound. I love very much the sound of Evah Pirazzi but I feel don't be good for using for orchestra and solo tuning.

I appreciate your opinions.

Thanks.

2. i think permanents have a much better sound than evahs. they respond better to the bow as well. they are quite a bit stiffer and have a more complex sound.

3. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I have a Permanent G with EP E, A and D. I agree. I prefer the tension and sound of the Perm. Is it reasonable to expect the same from the E, A and D? People have reported that the E and A Perms sound dead for pizzicato. It doesn't sound like that's been your experience. Could you elaborate?

4. Just a quick note:
    The OP is asking about solo-tuning strings.
    Are the answers so far about solos or regulars?

Regards,
    François

5. my observations are about solo tuning specifically, but they hold true for the orchestra set as well.

6. Thanks, SB.

@TMSP: are your questions about solo-tuning strings (you have started several threads about that recently) related to real solo-tuning, or to the use of solo-tuning strings at orchestra pitch?

7. TMSP

TMSP

Feb 6, 2010
    Aveiro, Portugal
    Hello Mr. Blais, I refer to the strings of solo tunning to use in tuning orchestra and solo tuning. I am currently experiencing the Original Flat Chrome Solo, but they seem a little hard and the string A1 is a little bright a bit. I hope that they calm down, because they are still somewhat new. I think few people use OFC or not? I thought about Flexocor Solo therefore should be less harsh and less aggressive, but do not know ... the OFC are hot but at least have projeccção. What do you think? My bass is brilliant, so I think Permanent are not what I seek.
    Ah, you knows how to put that black rubber which comes in the OFC (packageA1 string)?

8. There are so many variables that your questions are not easy to answer, and the way you use them is also quite marginal, so that may explain the leck of answers you got so far in the previous threads.
    I agree the Permanents may not be a good choice if your bass is bright.
    The solo Flexocors are indeed warmer and quieter than the solo OFC.
    [​IMG]

9. TMSP

TMSP

Feb 6, 2010
    Aveiro, Portugal
    Hello again Mr.Blais, first of all, thank you for your reply. I liked to make another question. I know some people who say that the Original Flat Chrome Solo strings are one of the best sets for solo tuning, but they will not be more rigid, much tension and some noise? Says the website of Pirastro they require high pressure on the bow in the orchestra tuning, but the solo version just says medium tension. What do you think of this? Thank you.

10. I'm not sure I understand your question.
    However please note I'm not playing with a bow at all, so I can't help much with this.

I think there's only one way to answer your questions: that's to buy the strings and try them.
    Someone else may get very different results with his own instrument anyway.

Best of luck in your quest!
    François

11. TMSP

TMSP

Feb 6, 2010
    Aveiro, Portugal
    Hello
    I am now experiencing the Permanent Solo (3 days). I noticed a significant difference compared to OFC Solo. I think the Permanent very nice feel in the hand. The sound is thin compared with OFC, but the sound is pretty, easy and maybe less metallic noises. I believe the OFC very tiring (left hand) on my instrument, an opinion shared by my teacher. I'm honestly confused, because I have not found all the features I want on a set of strings. I want a warm sound, complex, rich tone, with good projection and durable. I thought in Belcanto Solo, but the only thing missing is complexity in the sound, I think they are more generic compared to Flexocor. I thought in Flexocor Solo too, but I fear not having a lot of projection.
    Well, I wonder if the Permanent darken with the time, or whether they will always be bright and are durable.
    I do not see many people talking about them!

Thanks for your opinions.

12. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    The way you are describing what you are looking for, I'd suggest Flex '92s on the Solo gauge.

They are on the darker side, are very sexy under the left hand fingers (supple and smooth) and bow very nicely.

13. TMSP

TMSP

Feb 6, 2010
    Aveiro, Portugal
    Hello
    Mr. Jake, is that the Solo Flexocor have good projection / volume compared with Spirocore, Permanent or Original Flat Chrome?
    What differences exist between the Belcanto Solo and Flexocor Solo?
    I do not see many soloists using Flexocor ... Maybe they are strings of the orchestra?

Thank's.

14. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I just went back through the thread to clarify your needs. If you want to use them at orchestra pitch, I think you'll have to go with the Spirocore Solo strings.

Even then I'm not sure you'll be happy with the volume at the lower pitch compared to solo tuning. You'll have to try some strings to find out. :)