Personal Tragedy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by malthumb, Sep 14, 2004.

1. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I had made up my mind that I wasn't going to talk about this here. TB is where I come when I want to escape madness, but I need a place to vent.

Sunday one of my closest family friends was carjacked and murdered in our church parking lot. Bob was more than just a deacon at the church. He was like family to me, Melanie, and my kids, who called him Uncle Bob. Most weekends after church, Bob would drive over, with my mother-in-law, to visit with our family. He'd park the blue Impala SS in our driveway or infront of the house. Unfortunately, it was the blue Impala that led to this crime.

These cars are the thug car of choice in Detroit and other urban areas. So these two idiots saw their opportunity to cop one by jacking a guy in a church parking lot on a busy street at 4:30 pm on a sunny day. Bob willingly gave them the keys and just asked that they don't shoot him.

The good news is I just got word from a friend in the police department that they have apprehended two suspects. The terrible news is they are 13 and 17. There is reason to believe that at least one kids' parents knew he had the car and didn't say anything. What a world.

I'm not in the mood to end with my normal salutation.

Channel 4 News Story

Detroit News Story
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My condolences. :( that's horrible.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm sorry to hear that. :(

brad cook
  4. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Thats really awful man. I'm very sorry to hear about that. I hope you and your family are doing alright.
  5. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003

I'm not religious by any means, but a Church parking lot? That's cold...even more disturbing is the fact that those kids are, more or less my age...

RIP Bob.
  6. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    I'm very sorry to hear. I will definitely pray for him tonight. Those cars are nothing but trouble also out in Southern California where I'm from.
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :mad: sorry James, I cannot be sad... I'm too angry! Why do people think they can just *take* what they want with no regard for anything but themselves.

this kind of stuff is what keeps me from having children... when my days are done, the rest all y'all can do what you wish with this planet.

:( ok, I'm sad
  8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Michael Dimin
  9. Oh, my, god. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

That is truely sad.
  10. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I can't express enough condolences for such a horrific loss! It just seems tragic in every corner of that story, and the worst part was a good friend is now lost.

I'm sorry to hear the news. :(
  11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    How terrible. I feel for you and all people affected by this. It's tragedies like this that remind you what a blessing it is to be alive.

The best way to remember him is to enjoy your own life, treasure the good memories you have of him and do good deeds you think your friend would have done. He won't be really gone as long as you keep his memory alive.
  12. odie

odie Supporting Member

Wow, I dont understand why or how these things happen.

I am sorry for you and his family.
  13. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
  14. Absolutely senseless... sorry to hear it. :(
  15. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    What can you say to something so brutal and disturbing. That a man's life is worth less than a car, an insignificant human tool, is astounding to me. Is our society preaching a message of greed? Everytime I turn on a T.V. and see a rap music video (not to belittle what can often be a creative and valid genre), all I see is thugs flashing rims and expensive cars, selling an illusion to 17 yr old, and now even 13 yr. olds that money and things are life.
    Such senselessness!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll stop ranting though, because it doesn't matter now. I hope you are doing well and that you can find time to focus on more positive aspects like family or the many joys of life such as playing the best instrument on the planet. Grieve well, especially through your music.
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    My condolences. That really is terrible.
  17. I'm really sorry for your loss. You're in my prayers.
  18. Two teenage kids kill someone over a car?

Those kids should be tied up and drug behind that car.

Malthumb, I am so sorry that this has happened to your friend. At the same time, I am so mad I could chew nails.

I wonder why our society doesn't address this type of behavior, provide such hideous punishment and humiliation that no one would ever dream of doing such unspeakable things.

19. +1.

Sorry Mal,there's not much else I can say:(
  20. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is horrible

i'm truly sorry...