1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peter Steele of Type O Negative - Tone Question

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sugarfuzz, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Is anyone here familiar with his setup? His fretless tone on "Everything Dies" is freakin amazing. That's one of my favorite fretless tones ever.

BTW: Any other TON fans here? :)

2. Active 4-string bass, tuned down to BEAD (an interview around this time stated that Peter had begun to setup his basses with an actual B string but it still sounds detuned to me), bridge pickup only and played with a pick close to the bridge.

I think Peter always has chorus on the bass, his distortion is, I believe, a Boss metal zone or Hyper metal.

I'm not sure what bass is on this recording, the album sleeves usually state Alembic and Zon, but he's also used a custom 'Fenderbacker', and, when I saw them in London, a Fernandes Tremor.

Yes, I'm a TON fan...:)

3. Cool. Thanks for the info.

4. not a fretless, dude...he's got a split signal path...his bass output goes to an ab-y box and then goes to a chorus, delay, reverb eq on one side and chorus, distortion eq on the other side, then goes to another box that the signal can be combined...then it goes to a peavey max preamp and then to whatever cabs he's using at the time...on the life is killing me tour, he had 3 8x12 cabinets...it was pretty deafening (sickeningly so)...all of his pedals are boss pedals...other than the old alembic he plays, he has a couple fernandes basses (the one that he plays most has a single j pickup and a fernandes sustainiac installed with a volume, tone and an on/off kill switch) and now he's got a washburn that he's been playing pretty exclusively live...it's one of the m-series basses...an m10, i think...i used to have a picture of his live rig setup, but i can't find the thing anywhere...hope that helped

5. You're kidding me. Wow, I would have sworn that he is using a fretless in the soft part of "Everything Dies". EDIT: I hear it now. Holy crap man...can't believe I missed that. It's still one of my favorite tones. Thanks neptoon :bassist:

6. no prollem, dude...pete steele rocks

7. I still think that Pete uses a fretless in Everything Dies" as well as the quiet parts of "Wolf Moon" (and other parts of "October Rust") as well - it's not super-mwah fretless, but those slides are just too smooth to my ears. It's sounds like a modern fretless, like a Zon he credits or a Pedulla as opposed to a Jaco-esque J-bass with the frets ripped out.

Also, as neptoon stated a huge part of his style is his Fernandes-made custom bass Sustainer (I'm pretty sure he's transfered it over to his custom ESH basses) - watching the recent live DVD I had little idea he was chording so much, despite having seen them 7-odd times. I've gotten pretty close using a fuzz-based distortion, chorus, and interestingly enough a touch of octave-up mixed in - I find it brings out the distortion/chorus combo just enough. Although now living in an apartment I can't crank it up nearly enough for his distortion. :bassist:

8. eh, maybe, but he cops an exact sound live without a fretless...i'll send johnny kelly an email and ask, though, as pete doesn't do e-mail...and yeah, almost everything he does is a chord or a doublestop...too bad you can't hear it as well as we would like

9. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I also dig his tone!!

I couldn't believe that he chorded so much either.

Can't wait for there new album! Here is some info on it taken from the site:

Great news - the new Type O Negative opus, entitled "Dead Again", has now entered the mixing process! The new disc will include an appearance by Lycia vocalist Tara VanFlower - you can check out her MySpace page here: Tara VanFlower. Tentative release date remains sometime in early 2007,

10. bassgiant15

bassgiant15 Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses

Dec 19, 2005
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Sorry edit that.....

Here is the new release dates

SPV has issued dates for the new Type O Negative release "Dead Again". The dates announced are as follows:

MARCH 13 - USA/CANADA
    MARCH 16 - GERMANY
    MARCH 19 - EUROPE

Keep in mind that the dates are subject to change between now and then, and if so, they will be announced accordingly.

11. nice...can't wait...god, this was supposed to be released in march of LAST year...

12. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    i like his voice, very sexy and evil sounding

13. sexy and evil? have you ever met peter steele? that's sarcasm...

14. deathofbalance

deathofbalance

Jul 11, 2006
    Anyone know the specs of his bass itself? I saw them live last night, and was totally blown away. (He was using the black and green one. I couldn't get a good look at it, but I think it was a custom. It had green full-fret inlays.)

15. cool...didn't realize they were gigging...his bass actually had inlays? sure it wasn't a fresh coat of krylon? he normally has his tech spray on some rattle can krylon on his pickups, tuners and the fret markers...i've also seen him use electrical tape for the upper frets...the last time i saw them play he was using a washburn m-10 that was matte black...did it look kinda like this? here are the specs...

Built in the USA Custom Shop
    Maple body
    4 string
    Matte finish
    Seymour Duncan JJ Pickups
    Maple bolt on neck
    Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlay
    Grover bass tuners
    Buzz Feiten Tuning System™

pete's m10 was modified with a on/off kill switch, and i think it also has a single seymour duncan pickup...can't remember, but i'm poretty sure it isn't the j/j model

16. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    just stumbled across this... it's a clip of them doing Everything Dies live, and you can see him playing quite clearly through most of it.

There were a few parts to that song that i didn't realize were bass, like that riff at the beginning. Lots of chords, too.

Zodion and LowStringNinja like this.
  17. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska
    TYpe O Rules, BLACK NUMBER 1

18. i was about to start another thread, but decided to resurrect this old one...

this guy has totally nailed peter steele's tone...holy jeebus...nailed it

http://ca.youtube.com/user/thegreenbandits

what do you guys think? i give the guy _mad_ kudos...

19. wkargel

wkargel

Aug 14, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I suppose that we can keep this thread alive just a bit longer...! The "undead thread", perhaps? Peter Steele and Company would just love that one...! :D

I don't know if anybody else has tried this, but I am also a fan of TON, and I also love Peter's bass tone. I have been able to replicate it reasonably well using one of my Hamer CH-12 12-string basses tuned Bbb/Eee/Aaa/Ddd (mirroring Pete's 4-string tuning), and using chorus with mild distortion and/or overdrive. Sounds both smooth and crunchy at the same time, like crunchy peanut butter, eh? :cool:

The drawback to this setup is that the 12ver is not very suitable for playing the "clean" tones of any TON songs. Played clean or with just chorus, the 12ver will still sound huge compared to the original tones. :meh:

Regardless, I have adapted this setup when playing my 12ver with my original compositions when applicable. I have more conventional setups for my Rickenbackers, etc.

Cheers,

Bill

Rickenbackers, Hamers and Steinbergers...oh my! :bassist:

20. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    that dude got it down perfectly but i also think that the song running in the background with the guitar sound contributes to that fact...

pete has a great tone!!!