"Phil" 5 string - mystery

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Huntman, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Huntman

Huntman

Jan 12, 2015
    I bought this as a project. Nice looking build. Action is way high. I'm wondering if it was part of a small run or if it was some sort of prototype. Anyone seen anything like this? (I'm a guitar guy)

20150112_100929_zps9a4cc39f.jpg 20150112_100937_zpsbcf933d5.jpg 20150112_100946_zps28c1664a.jpg 20150112_101249_zpsc1eedea0.jpg 20150112_100953_zps23e3baa3.jpg IMG_6079_zpsa53050af.jpg IMG_6042_zpsca550d14.jpg

rogypop likes this.
  2. Huntman

Huntman

Jan 12, 2015
    So I'm guessing it is so rare it is worth millions. I will let the bank know I will be in the money soon. ;)

3. yea.... that used to be Phil's bass

SirMjac28 likes this.
  4. just so not to be totally useless...

http://bluebookofguitarvalues.com/electric_guitar_values/Guitar_Manufacturer.aspx?id=PHIL
    PHIL
    Instruments previously produced in South Korea by the Myung Sung Music Ind. Co during the 1990s and early 2000s.
    The Myung Sung Music Ind. Co., Ltd. offered a wide range of well constructed electric guitar models. There was a large variety of styles, configurations, colors, and affordable price points. Construction utilized top quality laminates, rosewood, spruce, mahogany, and build quality was top shelf. The Phil Pro Series offers models with offset double cutaway bodies, bolt-on necks, and double locking tremolo systems. Although Phil tried to find a distributor in the U.S. for many years, it is likely these guitars were never officially distributed in America.

http://www.vintaxe.com/catalogs_korean_phil.htm

5. Huntman

Huntman

Jan 12, 2015
    That is actually very helpful. I wont feel guilty routing the top to lower the bridge then. Thanks.

This is what I was expecting for a reply:

value.png

6. Huntman

Huntman

Jan 12, 2015
  7. you'd have to contact the site owners for access.... that page is as far as I could get as well

8. Doc Mojo

Doc Mojo

Oct 29, 2014
    Ohio
    Maybe an upgrade? 20150112_100937_zpsbcf933d5.jpg

Mktrat likes this.
  9. Funkmabassup

Funkmabassup

Jul 16, 2013
    Now thats funny. I used too own one of these, identical too the one you own just another colour. Bought it new here in Norway for about what would be 500$ 10 years ago. I always was in the position you are in, never could find any info on this bass ever, sold it due too the fact that i think it sounded too muddy and cause i dont do 5ers anymore.

10. Huntman

Huntman

Jan 12, 2015
    Yes. Looks like they want $10.00 to look at it.

11. Huntman

Huntman

Jan 12, 2015
  12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The only site I found searching for "Phil" and "Bass" was the Phil Jones site. Guessing that's not his, but what do I know? Likely a custom someone made or ordered.

13. Huntman

Huntman

Jan 12, 2015
    Interesting.

I just tried to put the strings back on it and the G snapped at the bend. My buddy and bass player says he will hook me up. I'm going to try to get it set up again. All of the adjustment screws were removed before I bought it. Need to find those. They take a 1.5mm wrench. Any links to bridge screws?

Thanks you all!

14. Funkmabassup

Funkmabassup

Jul 16, 2013
    this sounds really nostalgic, on this bass i snapped 1 g string every month, you need too put something between the saddle and string too prevent it due too the way the saddles is constructed. After I sold this bass I never snapped 1 string, but still this brings back good memories, this was the bass I learned too play on when I was a teenager. Gonna find some pics when Im home from work :)

15. Huntman

Huntman

Jan 12, 2015
    It broke at the tuner. Old strings that I took off. I've had this in a corner for years. Good to get it up and running again and will find a new home for it, I think.

Would love to see some more pictures.

16. LAST_C

LAST_C Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Florida
    I believe this is the previous owner... :D

1197182_zps06da4562.jpg '] 1197182_zps06da4562.jpg [/URL]

punchdrunk likes this.
  17. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    B-Mac likes this.
  18. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
  19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    If this is someone we're all supposed to recognize, I failed. Glad he's happy, though. :)

20. Doc Mojo

Doc Mojo

Oct 29, 2014
    Ohio
    That be Uncle Phil. From the Fresh Dense of Ballet.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021